13. Wear White Flowers

"Aaa" Dhaarya yelped as cool water droplets trickled down her face.

She rubbed open her eyes. Duryodhan's broad frame leaning close to her own.

"Wake up Dhaarya" Duryodhan said holding a glass of water.

Never before had a servant dared to sit in his presence even when he permitted and here she was!

'She definitely is made of tougher substance' he mused.

"Why do you do this?" Dhaarya asked irritation dripping in her voice "You could have just called or shaken me."

"I tried the former several times my dear" he replied stretching the last two words.

She flinched slightly at the endearment. He smirked at her reaction.

"And the latter... well I will make note of it now"

"Whatever" she said, rolling her eyes "Now take your clothe back and let me leave."

"I am going for mace practice" he said walking away from her chair 'Come down with me. I will need a fresh set of garment after that."

"What?" she asked incredulously "You just made me wait so long and now you are asking me to—"

"Hush" he commanded, his eyes gleaming in unsaid pleasure at her irritation "As if my sister makes you do anything at all. I am just making you wait... Or... You could apologise."

She sat up straight ready to send him a death glare when to her surprise he carelessly picked two white flowers from a vase.

"Wear them, Dhaarya " he said, bringing his hand near her ear covered by her dupatta "White in defeat."

Dhaarya gasped in shock before pushing away his hand.

"You are getting late for practise" she hissed "Let us go."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Thank you Shakthiselvi. You are truly remarkable" Karna beamed at her.

"It is nothing Kar – Angraj" she replied, they were still in Karna's private council chamber with the Maha Mantri and Senapati.

"Kumari Shakthiselvi " Pradhan Mantri Shavir kindly "Such confidence and intelligence in a young girl such as you is indeed commendable."

"Yes, Maha Mantri is right. You have knowledge of such innovative policing and defence strategies" Senapati Mukund added.

Maha Mantri Shavir a little elderly with a greying beard and deep eyes brimming in knowledge and experience while Senapati Mukund was middle aged but still energetic and jovial.

She smiled at them gracefully; over the past few weeks she had learnt that they were Karna's most trusted noblemen, always loyal and faithful.

From a corner of her eyes she could see Karna looking at her proudly, a steady smile on his lips.

"Shakthiselvi, you have never talked of your family, you must be missing them?" Karna asked once they were alone.

"My family, Karna" she answered "Well my family consisted of my parents and an elder si... I had two amazing friends in college. They were the best."

"Do you not miss your family? It just occurred to me that I am perhaps being truly selfish taking your opinions on state issues without asking if you really want to so..."

"No, no, Karna, you are not being selfish at all."

"Alright" he replied, sensing she was uncomfortable with the subject "But, Shakthi, why are you not facing me?"

"Oh I was just thinking of something, Karna" she answered turning around,bringing a smile to her face "But, Karna I wish to ask you for something."