19. Golden -1

The evenings in the Anga Palace are always peaceful and serene. The ebb in the human activities is always accompanied by the gradual rise chirruping of insects and the melodious compositions or simple cries of the nocturnal birds.

The sun was rapidly moving westwards and would make space for the moon soon in the firmament. Also, rapidly moving up the marble steps of the royal temple was a beautiful girl, her waist length hair cascading down, the end of her saree falling like waves on the steps.

Her golden jewellery adorning her from head to feet jingled and glowed in the last rays of the setting sun. From afar, it would appear as though a mass of light was walking up the temple steps.

Shakthiselvi rang the magnificent temple bell once she had reached the top. It had become routine for the inhabitants of Anga Palace to hear the loud clanging of the bell atop the royal temple for the past few weeks.

They believed it signalled the stay of Lakshmi (the Goddess of wealth and good fortune in Hindu mythology) in their country, and the day it stopped ringing all the prosperity that had come to Anga in such a short span of time would also disappear.

Shakthiselvi prepared the wick and poured oil into the gold diya laid with tiny shimmering stones that would sparkle when the diya was lit. Karna had brought it out from the treasury for her and had been insistent that she use it instead of the earthen diyas. And she loved it, even cleaning it herself with her own hands every day.

She looked up to a daasi (female servant) standing nearby, gesturing her to light the diya when a tall shadow materialized beside her. It raised its hand in a waving motion. The daasi moved away. A golden bubble of light perforated through the shadow as it knelt down beside her.

"Shakthiselvi, this is my part of the work" Karna whispered lighting the diya.

Shakthiselvi said nothing, instead she shut her eyes and folded her hands in prayer. Karna followed suit. 

The gold diya shimmered in the dancing flame as the night began dropping in. Karna peeked open his right eye, looking stealthily at Shakthiselvi.

She did not show any signs of opening her eyes anytime soon. He faked a little cough. It had the desired effect. She turned to him quickly just in time to catch him press his eyes shut. Her eyebrows wrinkled. Karna chose that moment to face her, his eyes twinkling mischievously.

"What were you praying for Shakthiselvi?" he asked curiously, the corners of his lips tugging up as he watched her gaping at him incredulously.

"Why should I tell you?" she said crossing her arms stubbornly, which only drew a soft laugh from Karna.

"Because you were praying far longer than usual" he replied, moving closer to her "You can tell me at least one thing you were praying about from the innumerable others."

"Yes. I was praying to God to knock some sense into you" she replied, still looking away from from him.

"Well in that case it is futile" he said, gently pressing her elbow, directing her to face him "You asked God very late."

Karna bit his lips to prevent himself from laughing. She looked so adorable even when showing displeasure.

"Because Shakthiselvi, this intelligent friend of yours has already knocked sense into himself ."