25: Cold Night

Hiko ate his dinner without looking at it. His eyes were locked on Kai who was sitting beside Jinora. He was still mad at Kai for touching his book without permission, and now he's throwing himself all over Jinora. And to Hiko's dislike, Jinora liked it. Kai was funny, charming, and more confident than Hiko. Sighing, he stood up and walked back to his room. He had laid out his sleeping bag as he did not want to sleep beside Kai, when he heard a knock on the door.

"Hiko, can we talk?" Jinora tiptoed inside the room before closing the door gently. Hiko still had his back facing Jinora not moving a muscle. He was prepared for Jinora to get mad at him, why? He didn't know. "Are we still friends?" Jinora's voice shook. "You haven't talked to me in a while and you keep avoiding me. Did I do something?" Hiko looked down at the floor, hoping it would contain any kind of hint at what he's supposed to say.

"No Jinora." Hiko muttered.

"Then why do you keep avoiding me?" Jinora said desperately.

"It's because I'm confused!" Hiko finally turned around to face Jinora who was frowning.

"Why?" Jinora said in a low voice.

"Nothing." Hiko crossed his arms and turned around avoiding Jinora's gaze.

"Tell me!" Jinora now had a hint of anger in her voice. Hiko simply sat down on his sleeping bag and said nothing. "Fine." Jinora slammed the door on her way out. Hiko struggled to keep his breathing straight, he hated being yelled at. He knew eventually he'd have to tell Jinora and it would not be pretty when it eventually happens. Without realizing it, he fell into meditation trying to drain himself of what just happened. Jinora sounded mad, and Hiko didn't like it. But if he had answered her it would have been a long conversation. Hiko wondered when they would get this mission over so that he'd return to his quiet normal life back in Republic City. He wondered what Jianjun and him would do now that they're good.

Hiko stepped out of the house into the cold night. Shivering slightly he sat down on the steps. Hearing footsteps behind him he turned his head to see Korra.

"May I?" Korra gestured at the floor beside Hiko.

"Yeah." Hiko patted the floor beside him.

"Why are you out here?" Korra asked Hiko while hugging herself.

"I want to wait until Kai falls asleep, don't like small talk... or big talk as long as it's with Kai." Korra giggled lightly. "How was your meeting with the Earth Queen?"

"She says there aren't any Airbenders which I don't believe at all. Something's going on."

"I believe you. Leaders of Big cities can have their judgment clouded by self-interest."

"But what would she gain by lying about Airbenders?"

"Beats me." Hiko leaned on the steps behind him, looking up at the beautiful night sky. "I wonder what I'll do when we get back?"

"What do you mean?" Korra leaned back with Hiko to look at the sky.

"Well, what's my purpose? What am I gonna do with my life?"

"You're the only one that can answer that Hiko. And to answer that you have to keep moving forward in life."

"But where do I move forward? What if when I think I'm moving forward, I'm actually just going where I was?"

"You'll find your way with the people you love in life. Remember, you aren't alone Hiko." Hiko looked at Korra with a small smile on his face.

"You're right, thanks Korra." Hiko stood up and looked up at the sky one last time smiling.