14: Half-Brother

Hiko had finished the day with an empty stomach. Fortunately, Jianjun offered to treat him to dinner. They had settled on Jianjun's favorite restaurant, a place called "Ping's Ducks"

"You're gonna love this place. Their roasted ducks are amazing!" Jianjun lead Hiko to the entrance with a wide smile on his face.

"I like roast duck." Hiko's dinner with his parents always had roast duck with it. His mother was an amazing cook.

The two boys got a table and ordered the roast duck rice bowl Ping's was known for. The aroma in the Restaurant made Hiko even hungrier.

"So, do you live alone?" Jianjun asked Hiko while sipping on his tea.

"Yes."

"How long?"

"Three years." Hiko bent his head down to fidget at his fingers, a habit he never broke out of whenever he felt awkward.

"How did you manage for so long?"

"I had my ways and my parents left me some money."

Jianjun now also had his head bent down. Hiko heard sobs coming from the opposite side of the table.

"I'm sorry. Look Hiko I have to tell you something." Jianjun was wiping his eyes. "I'm your brother."

Hiko couldn't believe what he had just heard. A brother?! He never had a brother growing up.

"I never had a brother growing up."

"Well half-brother, same dad, different mom." Jianjun gave a small smile which Hiko didn't return. "I'm sorry if I got to you just now, but I want to be a part of your life. Even if I am a bit late."

"I need time to think. I have to go." Hiko stood up and didn't give Jianjun a final look before walking out. Why should he let this guy into his life? He thought. Is he even really my brother? Thoughts began to race in Hiko's mind, why did his father never tell him he had a brother? I should stop thinking about this. Hiko finally reached his apartment building, he ran up the stairs and got in to his room. He was shaking, from the cold? No. A mix of emotions started consuming Hiko, he was angry of course. Why reveal himself just now? Why didn't he even try to find him? But at least he had a brother, he still had family! Then, he pushed him away. That's what I do, I push people away. Hiko laid down on his bed with his eyes staring into the dark ceiling, he didn't bother meditating because he knew he won't be able to.

Hiko woke up with a terrible back ache and a bad mood. The noises of the busy streets were filling his ears to his dismay. He realized today was Friday, the day of the party. The first thing that came into his mind was Jinora. His bad mood dissipated and he got up ready to start the day.

His work in the factory today wasn't any different from his first day. Fortunately, he hadn't caught a glimpse of Jianjun yet. He figures he would deal with that another time. It was break time and he was sitting alone on a table eating a sandwich. Nobody sat with him and he preferred it that way. A thing he was sure he loved about himself was that there wasn't anything noticeable about him. He even thought about removing his braids at the side of his head to make him even less noticeable but he couldn't bring himself to do it. The rest of the day was rather bleak and boring for him. Noting special happened, but he knew later tonight it would be somewhat special. He was going to his first party. The thoughts of being with Jinora overcame his nervousness and that's what carried him the whole day.