18: In the Moment

Hiko fell asleep last night as soon as he hit the bed. He had gotten home at midnight since he had to explain to Lin what happened. His leg was also hurt when he was sent flying by the explosion. In the morning he got up and tested his leg. It still hurt whenever he put weight on his foot but he didn't mind it. He limped to his small kitchen to brew hot tea and sat on the dirty wooden floor to meditate. The sounds of the bustling city soon fading out as his mind fell into deep meditation.

"Breathe in breathe out." His father's voice echoed in his mind.

"Sit upstraight."

"Relax, my little prince."

"I love you."

Knock. Knock.

This early? Hiko thought as he opened his eyes and got up. He turned the doorknob and pulled the door open, to see Jinora and Korra staring back at him. Korra gave a sigh of relief and hugged Hiko. Jinora looked at Hiko and gave a small wave.

"I thought you betrayed me!" Korra put her hands on Hiko's shoulder.

"I wouldn't." Hiko shook his head at Korra.

"Thank you." Korra muttered, smiling at the boy who had saved her and the president. "Oh, Jinora wants to talk to you." Korra stepped aside to let Jinora in. The two exchanged small smiles and Hiko led her inside the room, Korra willingly staying behind giving Hiko a teasing smirk before closing the door.

"Hey."

"Hi."

The two weren't maintaining eye contact as they kept looking to their sides. Jinora took the time to scan the tiny apartment. There was dust everywhere, there was a small kitchen full of rusty silverware and a door leading to the bathroom. Hiko's bed lay on an old looking wooden frame, beside it a nightstand carrying Hiko's father's book. His apartment was lonely.

"I'm sorry about last night." Hiko finally gained the courage to speak up.

"It's not your fault." Jinora placed a hand on Hiko's shoulder. "You saved the President and the Avatar at the same time, you did great."

He knew she was right but, he also knew to himself that he was sorry about something else.

"I'm sorry that I didn't tell you what I was gonna do here in Republic City." Hiko looked down at his feet.

"I don't care about that. I was being pushy, I should be the one apologizing."

"But I did enjoy our dance." Hiko smiled at Jinora.

"I did too."

"I want to come with you. To find the Airbenders." Hiko decided in the moment. He would find a way to deal with Jianjun later.

"Really?! That's great!" Jinora hugged Hiko tighter than ever before. "I asked Dad and he said you should stay with us before we go. Pack up your things and come to Air Temple island."

"I'll see you soon, Jinora."

"You better." Jinora gave a knowing look before walking out of the apartment.

Hiko collapsed on the bed with his back laid flat.

"I guess I'm hunting Airbenders." Hiko smiled to himself before starting to pack up his stuff.

A/N: Hey! I'm having major writer's block right now so I might not be able to update as frequently. But I promise I won't take too long. What do ya'll think about the story so far? :*