july

july

"Good morning, Nurse Mon." Copter greeted, entering the kitchen still sleepy. He sat on a bar stool on the counter, his white cane beside him. I placed a cup of yasmine tea in front of him.

"Morning, sleepy head~" He picked it up and attempts to cool it down by blowing and stirring it slowly. "Did you stay up late again?"

"How did you *yawn* know?" He took a sip.

"For starters you walk in here looking like a zombie with those bags under your eyes while moving like one." I went back chopping the vegetables before stir frying it with a pork on the pan. "If I didn't know it was you, I could have thrown this knife at you."

"Thank you for recognizing me while I'm at my worst." Copter stood up so he can join me in the kitchen, smelling what I'm making. "So what are you cooking?"

"Vegetable stir fry and steamed chicken breast." I answered tasting the dish if I needed to add more seasonings. I scoop a small amount feeding it to him. "Taste it."

"Needs more pepper." I sprinkle a little more pepper, and stirred it again. "Isn't too early for you to cook lunch?" Cop asked while he used his hand to fan the aroma towards his face. "That's better."

Since Copter is a better cook than I am, I trust his cooking methods. I still remembered the taste of those dishes he made the New Year we spent together. Everything was exquisite and full of love even though he was planning on eating it all by himself.

When I finally understand his situation at that time, the pain from my problem that night felt nothing and insignificant. I chose to stay at home because of a certain reason but him? He was already used to being alone and he never once complained.

"You might not be asking but, it's quarter to 11 already. So I'm making your brunch and my lunch."

"Oh..." He just shrug his shoulders going back to the counter where he left his cup of tea, he didn't show any remorse which I already expected. It was a typical reaction coming from him.

With his tea at one hand, he opens the sliding door of the patio. "Anyway I'm hungry so I'll just wait outside."

"OK, I'll be done in a minute." I guess, today's weather is perfect for us to have our meals outside. The forecast did said that it'll be very cloudy all day.

***

Copter told me awhile back that their family vacation house was made for his grandmother with the same condition as his. Her doctor advised their family that being surrounded by nature can keep her from thinking negative thoughts and just focused on the positive.

They supported her in any way they can but since her symptoms started much later, the results of her medication failed on helping her regain her eyesight.

That's why Copter's parents immediately took him to a specialized hospital so he can be given the right medication and treatment. Until now he's taking those medicines.

"But you know, she was the only one smiling, while the rest of us were forcing ourselves not to cry." Copter said while we walked on the stone-grassy path. "I could laugh with her if I can but I just can't."

"She was the bravest and I admire her for being so strong and calm even after hearing a dreadful news." He picked a fallen white magnolia flower from the top of his head and inhale it softly. "This was her favorite flower while living here."

"Even though she never saw its color she admire it so much. She once said while we visited her one Saturday afternoon that it's scent reminded her of our family's love, pure and genuine."