Chapter Eighteen: And Then There Were Eight

“What?”

“Huh?” I replied, struggling to sober up.

Reece took a step away from me. “What did you just say, Mal?”

“I didn’t say anything,” I lied.

His jaw clenched and his eyes turned to slits. The energy around him darkened. I had almost forgotten what he was like when he was angry. “Did you do something with Andre?”

“Of course not, Reece,” I rolled my eyes. I watched as the surrounding air was set ablaze, but I couldn’t force myself to take the situation seriously in my drunken state. It was kind of funny, really: I had been stressed about Andre letting something slip, but instead, it was me.

Why was I even trying to keep it a secret? Reece and I weren’t together and he had made it very clear on many occasions that we weren’t going to be together. I suppose I was just trying to protect Sierra. Or maybe, I just thought that Reece wouldn’t even care if I said anything. No, he loved Sierra, without a doubt he would be angry.

My, oh, my. How did you end up in this predicament, Malorie? What now?

“No. Something happened. You’ve both been acting weird since we got back from the break. Tell me,” he argued as he clenched his fists.

“What if something did happen? Huh? It’s not like I’m your girl,”

Well, go big or go home, right? It was clear how tense his body was, even in the dark. His hair was a mess from my hands but all traces of the previous playful moment had disappeared.

“Malorie,” he started. “If you guys did something then, as someone who was and plans on regularly sleeping with you, I feel like I should know.”

I choked on a laugh that somehow managed to slip out. How much did I fucking drink? My face felt warm but I focused on ridding my mind of the thick fog that had clouded it. Mustering up my best serious voice, I said, “Reece, we didn’t do anything. Why would I do that to Sierra? I know I haven’t known her as long as you have, but I do care about her.”

“Tell me everything,” he replied, still unconvinced, but his muscles began to relax as he watched me intently.

I struggled not to get lost in his deep gaze as I recounted the night. “He tried to kiss me. Obviously I didn’t let him, but he’s been acting like an asshole ever since. Whenever we’re alone he tries something.”

“No, he loves Sierra, and he knows how I- no. He wouldn’t do that,” Reece shook his head furiously.

“How are you going to tell me what did or didn’t happen? That’s what’s fucking wrong with you little boys,” I practically screamed at him, throwing my hands up. “You take this ‘bro code’ thing way too seriously! I get ‘bro’s over hoes’, but that guy is clearly not your friend Reece.”

He proceeded to stare at me from across the room, clearly interested in where I was going with this.

“First, he knew you were interested in Sierra, yet, when you were in the fucking hospital, he went out of his way to get close to her. Second, he took it upon himself to warn me to stay away from you. Then, he knows that you and I are- what the fuck are we doing, Reece? Whatever.

“He knows that you and I are doing this, but he still tried to come onto me multiple times. He doesn’t respect you, nor does he remotely care about Sierra. Hell, I should have told her about this already,” I finished and plopped down on his bed, a combination of anger and annoyance bubbling within me.

For a few moments, it was so quiet that I could hear the TV playing from downstairs. I had almost forgotten that everyone was here; the day had really been long and eventful.