Extra #1 ⭐️

[A/N - Little extra for those who want a peek into the lives of Caleb & Jayden. This starts before the main story began, and spans until their first marking]

~~~

*Third Person POV*

"Hey, I just landed," Jayden says into the phone. "Where are you?"

"I'm waiting next to the south gates," Caleb answers. "It's impossible to miss me, I'm holding a neon green poster with your name!"

Jayden laughs, tucking his phone between his shoulder and his ear as he reaches down to pick up his luggage. "Okay, okay, I'll be there soon."

"You didn't forget my birthday present, did you?"

"Of course not," Jayden feigns offense. "How about you? Did you keep my present safe while I was gone?"

"Guess you'll have to come find out!" Caleb chimes before hanging up the phone. Jayden chuckles, stuffing his phone into his pocket and heading towards the exit gates.

Jayden's parents had paid for him to take a trip during spring break, considering it overlapped with his birthday. It made him feel weird not being home for his 18th birthday, when he became a full-fledged wolf, but he also didn't want to pass up the opportunity of his parents paying for a trip.

He made sure to return home for Caleb's 18th birthday, which was only a week after his own. The two have been a part of the same friend group since they were children, and Jayden knew how much it means to Caleb that he gets to celebrate this important day with his friends.

When Jayden had told Caleb he would be back for his birthday, Caleb was elated. He immediately offered to pick Jayden up from the airport so they could begin the birthday festivities without delay.

Jayden spots the neon green poster before he sees his purple-haired friend behind it, who was turned around to scold some kid who ran into him with a popsicle. Jayden's lips crook in a lopsided grin as he hurries over.

"Caleb!" Jayden calls out. Caleb lift his head to greet his friend, and the world around them slows.

The connection was instantaneous when they locked eyes. They both felt that undeniable bond that stunned them both to their cores.

'Mate'.

Jayden abruptly stops a few feet away from Caleb, as the two continue to gape at each other.

"Huh," Caleb says dumbly. "Didn't see that coming."

"Yeah," Jayden replies with the same dumbstruck expression plastered on his face. "Me neither."

"Er... we should get going," Caleb holds out his hand to take Jayden's luggage. Jayden's body works on autopilot as he reaches forward to pass his luggage to Caleb. Their fingers touch, sending a blaze of fire up both their arms.

Caleb gasps, yanking his arm away from the alarming electricity he felt from Jayden's touch. He stares at his fingers, clenching and unclenching his fist curiously.

Jayden clears his throat, scratching the back of his head. Deciding to not making Caleb carry his things, Jayden stoops down to pick up his bags.

"Ready?" Jayden asks. The purple-haired boy snaps out of his daze, nodding his head awkwardly before leading the way to his car.

The entire drive to Jayden's house is filled with an uncomfortable silence. Neither of them know what to say in this... predicament they've found themselves in.

Caleb helps Jayden carry his bags into his room, despite Jayden's insistence that he doesn't need any help. But really, Jayden just felt odd making Caleb carry his luggage, especially now that he knows they're mates.