✣ chapter twenty-nine ✣

Been gone for monthsss. First a lack of motivation, then quarantine increased my school workload, and now all those we have lost to senseless police brutality has made everything worse. 

I don't know when the next update will be, but as always, I will update eventually. Even if it takes forever, it always comes. That is my promise to you guys.

It's been so long so I just wanted to rejog everyone's memory if you don't want to reread any previous chapters. I know it can be annoying. 

This is what happened previously: Sir Lorcan visited his mother and tried to make amends. The King realized that Ayan sent a letter to Mereti but wasn't able to prevent it from leaving Arania. Blanyr, Lord Eavan, and Sir Lorcan tricked a member of the Federation into giving up the details about their next meeting.

**this is not my best chapter, but I'm getting back into the groove.

...

"Ayan?"

I blinked, my eyes slowly opening at the call of my name. Brightness blurred my vision, but as it cleared, Flynd's face came to view. "Flynd? Is everything alright?"

"Yes, Ayan," He said softly. "Father is here to speak with us."

My eyes shot open, heart lurching at the sight of King Renyld in the corner of our room. "King Renyld!" I cried, bunching up my blankets over my chest. "What are you doing here?"

He stared at me sharply. "Ayan."

"Don't worry," Flynd said. "Father, please tell us why you've come to visit."

"I'm here because of your letter, Ayan," The King said gruffly. "What did it say?"

My letter.

"Letter?" Flynd asked, his eyes searching my face for reassurance. "What is he talking about?"

"He doesn't know?" King Renyld asked in surprise. "That is quite alarming."

Panic rose in my throat, my heart racing in sync. I struggled to remember what was in the letter, all the details I'd let slip. Flynd. The treason at the castle. Sir De—

"Wait...how do you even know I wrote a letter?" I had sealed it in an envelope. It could have been anything.

The King faltered.

"You opened it..." I whispered. Of course, he had...I had been so naïve to think I'd had a sliver of privacy in this country. To think my messages were respected like anyone else's. "How dare you..."

"How dare me?" The King growled. "What was in that letter, Ayan!"

I swallowed, knowing Flynd was watching with suspended breath, desperately awaiting a response. "It was a letter to my parents," I said, looking at the covers to avoid the two men's heavy gazes. "All I wrote was that I missed them and was doing fine."

I purposely left out that I'd discussed the Federation. The King and Flynd wouldn't understand. I had to tell my parents, they deserved to know that I was safe.

"You promised you would wait..." Flynd murmured, his voice quivering. "I can't believe you lied to me."

"Flynd, I needed to tell them I was alright."

He looked hurt, frustrated. "I told you to wait because we didn't want to alarm them. You promised me you would wait. Why did you even bother asking if you were going to ignore my advice anyway?"

"I-I don't know," I answered truthfully. "I was hoping you wouldn't have a problem with it."

"I can't believe this..."