✣ chapter sixteen ✣

Sir Declan and I had agreed to have the first lesson on Friday at noon. And yet, currently, the rays of the afternoon sun were shuttering through the curtains of the piano room and I was patiently waiting—alone.

I was absentmindedly pressing keys when he finally arrived. "Your Highness!" Sir Declan was standing at the doorway, seemingly surprised to see me. "What are you doing here?"

I didn't know if that was meant to be a joke, but I didn't find it funny. "Where is your son?"

His expression turned quizzical. "Your Highness, my son is in the..." He looked around the room, realization dawning on his face. "My son is in the other music room."

"I thought it was the one closest to the Banquet Hall?" I inquired. Had I made the mistake?

Sir Declan laughed. "I knew I should have given more specific instructions. If you're facing the Banquet Hall, it would be a turn to your left."

"Oh!" I said, understanding my mistake. "I turned to the right."

I apologized profusely as we walked out. His poor son probably had a terrible impression of me. How could the Princess teach him to play piano if she couldn't even navigate the castle?

"Make nothing of it," He said, chuckling at my expense. I made sure to note the path we took, to make sure I never got lost again. When we passed the maid's quarters, I realized how wrong I had been. The piano room he was referring to was so far away from what I'd originally thought.

"Here we are, Your Highness," He said, opening the door.

I entered with a wide smile, taking in the contents of the room. It was empty, save for two nightstands, a bed, and an armoire. "Sir Declan...there is no piano in this room."

As I was about to ask Sir Declan where the piano was, something panged in my chest.

This wasn't a music room.

This was a bedroom.
...

Flynd's POV

I needed to find Ayan.

I had been neglecting my "guard duties" of protecting her. To be truthful, I didn't fear for her safety, but I knew it would serve as a good excuse to see her again.

Earlier today, I had taken her to the stables, so she could reminisce about the days she used to ride horses in Mereti. She often spoke of how much freer Mereti was than Arania, and I wasn't surprised. It explained her willful personality.

Unfortunately, the horse she was supposed to ride was restless. It kept pacing and rearing its legs in the air. Ayan realized something was stuck in the horse's hoof, and we raced around the stallion, trying to take out the large splinter in its foot.

Afterward, we sat beside the stables, exhausted from the ordeal. She said she was late for something and disappeared while I chastised myself for ruining what was supposed to be a nostalgic experience for her.

And now I realized, after getting caught up in contracts and documents and the new responsibilities Father had thrown upon me, that I had no idea where she was. She hadn't been in the library, so I decided to search her room.

I knocked on her bedroom door, hoping I would hear her soft groan and then be met by her irritated expression. Then I could rest assured that she was fine. Unfortunately, my wishes weren't granted and the door was opened by her ladies-in-waiting who seemed as disappointed as I was.

"Do you know where the princess is?" I asked.

After curtsying, they shook their heads. "No, Your Highness," The one with brown curls answered. "We've been waiting for her here. Dinner will be happening soon."

I frowned. "Where is she?"
...

Sir Lorcan's POV

Three days ago, at four-o-clock in the afternoon, she didn't show up.

The blasted maid didn't show up.

I had waited and waited for her—for nothing. I wasn't a patient man, but I had allowed her some leniency. She was a busy woman; she probably had some affairs to take care of. She was beautiful. Beautiful women did no wrong.

But she didn't come. So now, I was storming through the hall to go to the maid's quarters and find her. Perhaps, ask what happened. Or maybe find another pretty maid to distract myself with.

That blasted woman.

Blanyr.

As I walked, I made out a figure in the distance. It was definitely a woman, one with an expensive dress. She was running. And then she stumbled. I rushed to her, anxiousness filling my chest as I recognized her dark skin and short hair.

"Princess! What happened?" I kneeled to her level, trying to pull her back up, but she sank her weight into the floor.

"Please, don't hurt me!" She begged, clutching my sleeves.

I stared at her in confusion. What had happened? "I won't! Why would I hurt you, Princess?"

"Find Flynd." She sobbed. "Find him!"

"Al-alright, Princess." I stuttered. "But I can't leave you here." She let me haul her to her feet and as she shook with sobs, we stumbled across the hallway floor. In fearful curiosity, I looked back.

But whatever she was running from wasn't in sight.