✣ chapter ten ✣

Eventually, Sir Declan departed to mingle with the other guests, freeing me to wander the crowd once more. I spotted Flynd in the distance, engaging in a boisterous rapport with his childhood friend, Lord Eavan.

I decided against interrupting their meeting but with Ailis and Blanyr hiding in the kitchens, I didn't have many other friends to fall back on. Except Lady Eora. Though, she was more of an instructor than a friend.

Nonetheless, I found her by the band of musicians who were tuning their instruments. "Has Sir Wofford shown up yet?" She asked.

A man slightly strumming his bass, shook his head. "We still haven't seen him."

Lady Eora stared at them incredulously but none of the musicians, who were busy tending to their prized instruments, seemed to care. She turned to me, confusion and impatience flashing through her eyes. "Can I help you, Your Highness?"

Embarrassed and realizing I couldn't say, "I need someone to talk to", I answered her question with another, "Could I be of assistance?"

She released a heavy, lingering sigh. "Sir Wofford is still missing and unless you know how to play the violin, then I'm afraid not."

"I can't I'm afraid," I said, laughing breathily. "But, I can play the piano."

The noblewoman's eyes brightened, and she nodded her head. "You could play the melody instead of Sir Wofford. Can you sight read?"

"Yes."

"When did you learn?"

"I began lessons when I was seven." I responded with a grim smile. Indeed, I had a long history with the piano—a long, contentious one. I was a good player, something I'd become after years of being forced to do hand exercises and sight-reading complex pieces.

When the Nechis had begun interfering within bordering African nations decades ago, my grandparents had become worried that Mereti was next. Often, the Nechis claimed we were inferior, and they were simply trying to "civilize" us. So, from a young age, to preempt this ridiculous argument, my grandparents had forced their children to learn the instruments of the Nechis and speak their languages. Similarly, my parents done the same to me—all for the sake of a diplomacy strategy that almost didn't work.

"Oh, that's wonderful news," She giggled like a child. "Absolutely wonderful."

Lady Eora guided me to the beautiful, seemingly untouched piano behind the musicians. After I was seated, she showed me the sheet music. I marveled at the piece. I had never seen chords written in such an order before. Fortunately, it was in four-four time which made everything easier.

"Alright everyone, ready?" Lady Eora asked.

When everyone murmured "yes", she counted down from five, gesturing the timing with her hands. I let out a low chuckle. Of course, Lady Eora was the conductor. I began to wonder whether she had written this piece herself.

As soon as Lady Eora uttered, "one", I began. My accompaniment was the intro before the other musicians followed. I tried to take deep breaths, letting my fingers staccato off the keys. It felt natural, years of rigorous hand exercise having been worthwhile. However, once the orchestra began after me, I felt more at ease.

The song was long, I had to repeat several lines more than once, but in my peripheral vision, I could see people dancing to the music. Oh, good. I was playing on tempo.

Finally, I came to the last line, with me playing the final note. As we finished, I saw lady Eora rushing to me. "Ayan, that was beautiful!" She exclaimed.

Soon, we were approached by a flock of attendees, congratulating Lady Eora on her excellent conducting skills. As she explained that it had been an original piece, I tried to slip away. Unfortunately, I was caught by Lord Eavan and Prince Flynd who had joined the crowd.

"Your Highness," Lord Eavan greeted, bowing. "You played beautifully tonight."

"I didn't know you could play piano." Flynd remarked.

While Lord Eavan sauntered away, probably to congratulate Lady Eora, Flynd turned serious. "Festivities aside, I need to talk to you. Alone."

I felt my stomach churn. What was this about? Was it because I'd been avoiding him? Reluctantly, I followed him out of the Banquet Hall, outside, where we stood uncomfortably in the massive corridors.

"Why did you bring me here?"

His eyes were downcast and solemn as he answered. "Ayan, I've changed my mind."

More worry seeped into my heart. I hated where this was leading. "About what?"

"About the plan. I want an heir."

His words shot through me, like a gunshot to the chest. He wanted an heir. No, no, no. "Flynd, no."

"What's the problem? I promise, I won't hurt you."

His brashness made me take a small step backward. "What on earth are you talking about? Why have you changed your mind suddenly?"

"Lord Eavan told me that Lady Eora is pregnant," He bit his lip, his eyes refusing to meet mine. "He was completely and utterly astounded, but excited. And it instilled a sense of excitement within me."

"I don't want to bear your child." I said curtly.

"Why not? You're my wife!" Flynd exclaimed, touching the sleeves of my dress. "What is stopping you?"

"You are!" I hissed, wrenching my hands from his grasp. In all honesty, I was lying. This wasn't simply about Flynd—this was about a principle. I had told myself I'd never bear his heir before I'd even met him, but meeting Flynd made me more certain of my decision.

"What are you talking about?"

"I know about what you used to do with maidservants!" I snapped, the words tumbling from my mouth before I could stop myself. Anger and worry I'd been bottling up for so long that I couldn't hold it back anymore. "And you don't even trust me. How do you expect me to trust you?"

"I trust you, Ayan."

"I see you've completely ignored what I said about the maidservants."

He shook his head. "No, I'm not. It's a long story but I promise I've never betrayed you, Ayan."

"Tell me the story." I demanded.

He lowered his voice to a whisper. "When I was younger, I was reckless and always pleasure-seeking. I drank and jousted and even toyed with the maids. I'd flirt with them, compliment their hair, but nothing more, Ayan. Nothing more."

"But-but Lady Eora told me that you...had a way with women."

"Lady Eora's viewpoint is skewed," He said with a humorless chuckle. "I used to be friends with Sir Lorcan and after he used her, she associated us together. She's never respected me."

"I don't think Lady Eora would lie to me."

"She didn't. I did used to have a 'way' with women. But that doesn't mean I was unchaste."

I released a frustrated sigh. I wasn't sure if I could believe him, but he seemed sincere. I just wanted him to lie to me. To make this easier for me.

"Ayan, I'm a different person now. Please, believe me."

"You didn't used to care before."

"Damnit. Don't you see? This isn't just about a child, an heir. This is more than that—this is about you. I want to have a child with you."

My mouth fell open, shock coursing through my body. My voice was pitchy and inconsistent when I managed to reply. "W-What?"

But he didn't respond. He was leaning closer to me, dangerously close. No, no, no. I pushed him away and he stumbled back. As I stormed away from him, tears pricked at my eyelids.

"Ayan, wait!" He called, but I didn't hear his heavy footsteps chasing after me. A part of me wanted him to follow me. But he didn't.

I told myself it was for the better.