✣ chapter twenty-one ✣

I recently entered this story in the wattys...which means...you guessed it--I gotta edit the whole thing! all chapters of The Nechi's Wife will still be posted but over time they'll start changing. and awkward parts will hopefully be gone.

Sir Declan faced me, his angry eyes spearing right through my heart. "People want you dead, Princess. Dead."

"Sir Declan!" The judge roared. Lord Quinlan and Lord Carrig glanced at each other in worry. The small audience gasped in shock.

"We're leaving. Now." Flynd ordered, clutching my arm.

"Why?" I hissed, resisting. "I want to hear what else he has to say!"

His eyes narrowed, as if he was angry with me. "If you think I'm letting you risk your life again, you're thoroughly mistaken."

"If he wanted to hurt me, he would have done it already." I pointed out. But my dear husband did not care. He dragged me out, nodding at several guards who joined us. I suppose they were there in case someone suddenly felt the urge to stab me.

As we exited into the hallway, I begged Flynd, "Please, listen to me. What if Declan is admitting why he wanted to kill me? I'm going to miss it." 

Flynd frowned the way a mother might at her child in the middle of a tantrum. "Do you want to die?"

I fell silent for a moment, caught off guard by his blunt response. "Who...who says I would have died? He was stating a fact, not commanding his assassins to murder me."

"I'm a little paranoid. And I think that's warranted."

"I want to go back in."

Flynd shook his head. "No, but if you must know what is going on, I will do it."

I scoffed. "I don't need you to—"

"Please watch her," He told the guards, interrupting me in the process. I scowled at the back of his head as he ran inside the courtroom, wishing he could feel my frustration. Why did everyone feel the need to control me like a puppet?

I glanced at the soldiers who had been ordered to protect me. Men. So overbearing. And...scary. Their serious gazes seemed to bore into me, and their unwavering expressions made it even harder to feel comfortable in their presence.

"How are you, gentlemen?" I asked nervously.

"Fine," They answered in unison.

To my great joy, the doors of the courtroom burst open, revealing an excited Flynd. "The trial is over. He's deliberating the verdict."

"Already?"

"Already," Flynd affirmed.

He smiled, clearly not anxious about the results—surely the judge would rule in my favor. But then, his smile dropped into a look of worry, and he didn't seem to be watching me anymore. When I turned around, I saw King Renyld approaching us. And he didn't seem happy.

"Father, what are you doing here?"

The King shook his head. "Not now, Flynd." And he rushed into the courtroom.

...

The presiding judge scanned the audience who eagerly awaited his verdict. And after having ducked the guards, I was able to be part of this audience. Flynd wasn't happy with my escape, but I told him that I wasn't his daughter, and he couldn't control my every move.

"I hereby declare Sir Declan as guilty," The judge said. I squeezed Flynd's fingers till he had to genlty pry them away from me.

"He's guilty..." I whispered. "We did it."

"I knew he would be," Flynd murmured. "There was nothing to doubt."

"And for the crimes of attempted assault, attempted sabotage, and treason, I sentence him to banishment from Witylt. If he is ever to set foot upon this great capital city ever again, he will be immediately executed."

"I beg his pardon?" I hissed. "Banishment? That's all?" A surge of fear and rage coursed through me as the judge continued detailing the nature of Sir Declan's punishment. No jail time? Or lashings? Or fines? Nothing?

I snapped my gaze to Flynd who appeared just as confused as I was. Why? I mouthed in horror.

"I don't know." He answered, shaking his head.

... 

Immediately after the judge dismissed us, we ran to King Renyld's room. "He must have told the judge something." I growled, pounding furiously on the door.

"Don't worry," Flynd assured, easing my hands away from the door. "He's coming, I can hear his footsteps."

When the door opened, we both rushed inside before the King could protest. Flynd asked the first important question, "What did you tell the judge?"

"I know why you two are here," King Renyld said slowly. "and I need you to calm down."

"Calm down? The man tried to rape me and they're 'banishing' him!" I shouted incredulously. "Probably to his beautiful castle on the countryside!"

"Is that what you call justice?" Flynd asked. "Is that the Aranian way?"

"Listen!" The King roared. "Both of you, sit down."

We glanced at one another, before soberly acquiescing to his command. As I sat down, I felt like my leverage was being taken away. I was a mere child who King Renyld had to calm down before returning to his business.

"I understand your concerns, but neither of you know the whole story."

"Then tell us!" Flynd exclaimed.

A flicker of anger danced in the King's eyes, but he didn't waver as he explained, "Sir Declan admitted to being part of a group that wanted—wants—to assassinate you, Ayan. They think your presence is tainting the royal family. They think you're—"

"Inferior." I finished for him.

He nodded uncomfortably. "Declan was supposed to gain your trust and then eliminate you. But his inability to control his...hormones ruined the plan."

"But all you're doing is banishing him," I whispered. "How is that going to stop anything?"

For the second time, right after my experience with Sir Declan, I felt scared for my life. This castle wanted me dead and there was nothing I could do to protect myself. This wasn't my country. I didn't know the land. What was going to become of me?

"We were in a difficult position. His family is very wealthy. If we had him put in jail, it could have started an uproar. We need to balance all viewpoints in situations like these." 

"His wealth determines the outcome of the trial?" Flynd asked pointedly. "That doesn't seem fair."

"Do away with your simplistic view of justice! Everything is always more complex than we'd like." King Renyld snapped. "And, there are more like him. Which is why you must leave, Ayan."

"Leave? Back to Mereti?"

"No! Heavens no." Renyld answered as if he was horrified by the idea. "Until we discover all the people involved in this plot, we must have you kept safe—in Arania, of course.

Flynd looked at me quickly before turning back to his father. "Wherever she goes, I follow."