✣ chapter nineteen ✣

"You're going to be alright," Prince Flynd promised as he led me to his father's office. "All you have to do is tell him what happened."

He had interlaced his hands with mine, and I wasn't sure if it was my state of vulnerability or depleted willpower but I let him. In all honesty, the softness of his fingers and the supportive warmth in his eyes was comforting.

It was hard to believe this was the same Flynd who had called my name "counter-intuitive" so many months ago.

"What if he doesn't believe me?" I asked, slowing my steps as we approached the King's room.

Flynd knocked on the door with his free hand. "Why wouldn't he?"

I frowned, but before I could answer, the door swung open. With a grim expression, King Renyld stepped aside so we could enter. "Come in, you two."

Flynd guided me to two chairs in front of a dark, mahogany desk. I sat down, brushing imaginary dust off my satin, red gown. I didn't like it very much but my best dress, the azure gown I wore so often, was the same one I'd been wearing when Sir Declan attacked me. And now, I couldn't even look at it without feeling my insides freeze and memories race through my head.

"We found Sir Declan in a spare bedroom," King Renyld said as he plopped into the seat at his desk. "They say he was holding his ear. It was bleeding."

I turned to Flynd who was smiling in encouragement, and tried to gather courage from his eyes that reflected nothing but a deep faith in me. "I bit him. To escape."

"You bit his ear? Why—"

"It was warranted," Flynd interjected. "He would have assaulted her."

King Renyld sighed. "Please calm down. I do intent to investigate the matter, I'm simply trying to gain context."

"He obviously was trying to hurt her. What more investigating do you need?"

"Sir Declan told some guards that it was consensual," The King said. "And then Ayan went crazy."

Anger bubbled in my throat, making it difficult for me to speak without screaming. "He's lying! Do you think I'm insane?"

How could he do this to me? Attack me and then act as if I asked for it. As if I wanted to be lied to, taken advantage of, and brutalized. As if I would cheat on my husband. As if I would cheat on Flynd for him

"Both of you must ease down," King Renyld pleaded. "I believe you, but our laws grant a fair trial to everyone."

"That's a lie," Flynd snapped. "You and I both know you don't need to go through with a trial."

I stared at him in horror. "Flynd!"

"No, no, he's right," King Renyld muttered. "This is all far more complicated than I'd like."

With a weary face, the King began to explain that Sir Declan's family was fairly wealthy and despite their status as lesser nobility, they were well-respected and influential. If King Renyld convicted their pride and joy, Sir Declan, without a proper trial, the backlash could be enormous. Especially when the only witness was me: the Meretian princess who didn't belong in Arania anyway.

"But...if we have a trial," I tried to stop myself from grimacing. "What if-what if he's acquitted?"

The King shook his head. "I don't know—"

"That won't happen," Flynd interrupted. "I swear on my life that if Sir Declan is acquitted, I will kill him myself."

...