✣ chapter twenty-six ✣

I think this is my longest chapter yet! 2000 words!

In the early morning, I slipped out of bed. As usual, Flynd was still asleep. Now that he didn't have to fulfill his duties as Prince, he refused to get up before sunrise. I could scarcely imagine how he'd fare when we returned to the castle and he had to return to his original routine again.

I took the letter from it's hiding place in the office and made my way to the bottom floor. There, stood two guards who would take guard in rotation every other day. They were quite kind to me, letting us go outside more often than we were supposed to, but they weren't allowed to tell us their names. So, I referred to them as Longbeard and Clean-shaven, something they found amusing.

Right now, Longbeard was standing by doorway on watch duty while Clean-shaven was asleep on the floor beside him.

"Longbeard," I whispered. His eyes crinkled in amusement at the use of his nickname. "Could you mail this?"

I gave him the letter and he gingerly held it between his fingers. With a nod, he said, "Your Highness, no one is allowed to send mail to this location. If a letter was sent in return, it would be redirected to the castle first. Then, the King would have to bring it here himself."

I paused for a moment. I didn't particularly want the King to read the letter, it was awfully personal, and I knew he'd latch on to the sentiments I expressed about Flynd. Then, I remembered the rule about royal mail—no one was allowed to open them unless addressed to themselves. So, I agreed. "That would be fine."

With a last smile for Longbeard and his sleeping companion, I went back upstairs. When I opened the door, I was rushed by a burst of warmth. The bed seemed so inviting. Satisfied with my work, I snuggled underneath the covers beside Flynd.

...

"Do you mind telling me more about your family?" I asked Flynd as we sat over a chessboard. I'd only recently learned the game and was losing quite thoroughly. It was so difficult to remember which pieces were which. And every time I moved a piece in the wrong direction, Flynd pretended not to notice. "I'm curious."

He smiled. "What do you want to know? Checkmate."

I sighed at the lost game. "I forfeit."

"You can't forfeit when you've essentially lost."

"I forfeit." I repeated, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Alright, alright. I understand. Now, what do you want to know about my family?"

"Well," I said. "I want to hear about your mother. And father."

Flynd hummed in thought. "They didn't get along very well. They had an arranged marriage."

"Like us?" I asked in astonishment. "Are you serious?"

He nodded reluctantly, visibly unhappy with the comparison. "Yes, but we don't despise each other anymore. They never grew out of that stage."

"What happened?"

"My father's parents wanted to unite the ó Baoill line with a powerful nobility family and my mother was the daughter of a powerful duke. They were betrothed from the age of seven."

"Wow..." I murmured. "That must have been terrible." I couldn't imagine knowing that you would marry someone from such a young age. Even if you fell in love with other people along the way, your marriage was determined. It was no wonder that the King was so fixated on having favor with the nobility. From a young age, he was taught that it was important.

"They didn't get along. I caught my father with multiple women who weren't my mother."

I winced. "I'm so sorry, Flynd."