✣ chapter eleven ✣

Lady Eora sighed as she ran her fingers through the lush grass beneath her. The greenery shimmered with vibrance as the sun's rays flashed against it. "I think the Banquet was a success," She reminisced. "The guests were very impressed by your performance."

"I'm glad," I murmured, closing my eyes to revel in the Aranian sun that had finally emerged from the clouds. It wasn't anywhere near as warm as the Mereti sun, but it was better than the squally winds and grey skies I was accustomed to. "Did you ever find out what happened to Sir Wofford?"

Eora didn't respond and for a moment, all I heard was the whistling of the breeze. When I opened my eyes and looked over, Lady Eora was staring grimly at the ground. "Is everything alright?"

"He left because he was trying to sabotage me," She growled. "After the Banquet, I caught him in the hallway, complaining to a nobleman that it was stupid to let a woman conduct."

"That's terri—"

"He put me through hours of stress, running around, looking for a replacement—all to make a point? Who does he think he is? What's wrong with him?" She raged. Suddenly, she clenched her fists and screamed. A loud shriek that pierced the air and made me flinch.

When she remembered I was sitting next to her, she dropped her head into her hands. "I apologize," She mumbled. "I don't get very many opportunities to release stress."

I laughed loudly to her astonishment. If only she knew how badly I wanted to scream at times. "I forgive you."

"Thank you for your kindness," Eora scoffed sarcastically, but she soon became somber again. "Sometimes...sometimes I wonder whether I deserve this. The only reason I'm the head royal musician is because my husband arranged it with the King."

"Look at me," I demanded. When she had raised her head to meet my serious gaze, I continued. "You're an excellent musician and dancer, but no one would have given you a chance without connections. Don't undermine the hard work and abuse you've endured to be here."

"That's what my husband always says." She noted wistfully. Then, she cocked her head. "Did I tell you that I'm pregnant?"

"N-No!" I exclaimed with an astounded laugh. "You are?"

She nodded. "Yes, and I'm glad Eavan's returned. So, we could journey through it together."

"That's wonderful news. I'm happy for you." I congratulated, my mind inadvertently drifting back to my conversation with Flynd the night before. He wanted a child too. With me. I told myself to stop thinking about it.

"Several years ago, things weren't so wonderful between Eavan and I..." She trailed off as she gazed at the sky. "Sometimes he was neglectful, other times indifferent, and the rest of the time, he was gone."

"What do you mean?"

"Things are much better now, but I was lonely before. Eavan was frequently travelling, surveying for the King. And then, Sir Lorcan appeared in the court—he was newly knighted."

Sir Lorcan. She was about to tell me her history with him—what he had done that made her hate him so. I hoped it didn't have anything to do with an affair but based on her explanation, it probably did.

"He preyed on my loneliness and I fell for his charms too easily. I was a loyal wife, until Sir Lorcan wrapped me in his whims."

She narrated how Sir Lorcan had seduced her, filling the void of her absent husband. He was kind, romantic in private, but in public he'd treat her with disrespect—as he did to many of the other women who'd let him.

"When my husband finally returned from his trip, I realized my horrid mistake. And when I told him about my affair, he was furious. Fortunately, over time, we were able to reconcile."