Chapter 7 - Burden of Sight

With the pale yellow rays of morning shinning through the round window that Thomas next to. He used it to give his figure a look over. He was happy with the over-all look. Hard angle of the chin, with the shoulder-length hair. With a tall, thin figure that seemed to tower over a person. If he had smaller blades her would have the details of his face, the sharp tall nose and deep set dark eyes. Would make an interesting figure.

Stroking his thumb over the rough edges of the figure. Thomas remembered Old Man, no matter how cold he could be; he was always nice to Thomas. He missed him. Shaking of his sadness, Thomas placed his knife, and the 12-inch figure aside — he stood up with a stretch. Noticing the beam moved across the room, hitting the foot of the bed. Thomas hoped that it didn't wake up Lars.

"N mm," Lars moaned in his sleep. Tomas glanced over and saw Lars twisting under the blankets. His face pinched in pain. Thomas hurried over, was he having a nightmare? At Lars's side of the bed, he saw a sweat soaking Lars's face.

"Lars!" Thomas called to him in a shouting whisper. Wanting to stop his nightmare, but not wanting to wake him, if he could shake it off and get more sleep. Lars didn't notice, instead his face paled and his fist twisted in the blankets. "Lars!" Thomas shouted. Getting worried while watching the colour draining further from Lars face, and neck. "Please wake up!" Thomas shook his arm. Lars pulled away.

"No!" He cried his arms flaring out, his arms were a ghost white and soaked with his sweat.

"Lars!" Thomas cried, but his voice was not reaching Lars. Not sure what to do, he ran out of the room. Determined to get Lars's parents. Once in the hall, Thomas remembered that he didn't know which room was theirs.

"Berry!" Thomas cried out hoping the house elf would hear him. Berry appeared in front of him. Having her come from nowhere no longer scared Thomas, since he now knew she could do that. Instead, it made Thomas grateful that she could appear so fast. Yawning and rubbing her large eyes in a blue lace nightgown — Berry blinked at him.

"Mr. Thomas?" Berry looked up at him. "What is wrong?"

"It's Lars! He's pale, and sweaty." Thomas spilled out. "I can't wake him up." Thomas felt his heart running faster than when the boys used to chase him down. There he could run, but he couldn't do anything here.

"He must be having a vision." Berry eyes narrowed. "Go back to his side. I'll get his mother." Berry disappeared with a snap. Thomas didn't have time to question what she meant by vision. Thomas ran back inside the bedroom. He jumped on the bed and crawled to his side. Lars's twisted and failed, against whatever monster he was fighting in his dreams. Had to be bad.

"I'm here." Thomas grabbed one of Lars's hands. Forcing it still in his two hands. It felt cold even though it was damp with sweat. "I'm here." Thomas repeated. Wishing he could dive into his dreams and help fight off whatever made his spine twist. Facing a monster is less scary when you have friend. Not that Thomas had one before, but it felt right to him.

"How long has it been?" Lars's mother came in a blur of blue's and purples. Running around the bed and to Lars's other side.

"A few minutes?" Thomas wasn't sure. "It feels like forever." Thomas whispered. Watching Lars eyes beat back and forth under his eyelids, faster than Thomas could keep track of.

"Berry." Aunt Merry waved her hand out palm up. Berry placed a soft cloth in it. She started to pat Lars's forehead, making no effort to wake him.

"Can't you wake him?" Thomas asked, rubbing Lars's hand in his. Berry cam back to his side, patting his back. Reassuring him, Thomas thought it was a nice jester; that Lars could use more than him.