Chapter 14: Ember Fall Rebirth

Start from the beginning

Hassan said, "Are you ready to begin?".

I nodded and three men came out of the shadows and I was barely able to beat them off.

Hassan stood up and began to show me around.

I told him about my parent's death and Hassan asked, "You have learned to bury your guilt with anger. I will teach you to confront it and to face the truth. You know how to fight twenty men. We can teach you how to fight a country. We can teach you how to become truly hidden to your opponent. The assassin understands that camouflage is a matter of patience and agility. Always mind your surroundings. We employ explosive powders as distractions. Theatricality and deception are powerful agents. You must be more than just a woman in the mind of your opponent." and we began my training.

3 Weeks Later*

Hassan said, "Crime cannot be tolerated, criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding.".

I nodded in understanding*

2 Months Later*

Hassan and I were sword fighting over some breakable ice beneath our feet.

We clashed swords and Hassan said, "Your parent's death was not your fault. It was your mothers.".

I kept a level head as we kept fighting.

Hassan said, "Will is everything!" as he pushed me back.

I looked at Hassan and he said, "The will to act." and I hurried forward clashing swords with him before I just tripped him and held a sword to his throat.

I said, "Yield.".

Hassan smiled and said, "I yield." and I offered him a hand helping him up.

Later At Night*

We were sitting by a fire and Hassan said, "You are stronger than your mother.".

I said, "You didn't know my mother.".

Hassan said, "I did. Cinder Fall was my first student and after all the years of training she had with us, she left to have you with your father in Vale. But I also know the rage that drives you. That impossible anger strangling the grief until the memory of who you are. I wasn't always here in the mountains.".

I looked at him curiously.

Hassan said, "I was born in the city of Sadiz which is part of modern-day Vacuo in the tenth era. My father had left Carias, modern-day Mantle to live in Sadiz. Early in my life, my family and I moved to Malla, which today is a desert outside of Vacuo and in between Vacuo and Vale. It was that I developed a keen interest in mystical matters and adhered to the Sorcerer Supreme for instruction. During the day I studied at home and mastered prophecy, languages, philosophy, astrophysics, magical prowess, and arithmetic computation. In Malla, my teacher, the Sorcerer Supreme introduced me to the mysticism doctrine of the world. Although I was initially unimpressed, my interest gradually grew after I participated in many fields of spell that discussed the merits of eternal youth which I would soon use on myself. I soon abandoned Malla and headed to Givia, modern-day Atlas, and Mantle. It took about five years to reach Givia. Along the way, I toured many other regions that did not fall in the general direction of Givia and when I arrived I was a full missionary. Whilst I was in Givia, studying and preaching, I incurred the displeasure of the chief of the army, Bedeviere. I was briefly imprisoned by Bedeviere. The collapse of a tower of the jail was an omen in favor of me and I was promptly released. My life now was totally devoted to the mission. I turned to the Mountains of Roanin which are these modern-day mountains. These mountains were home to a people who had traditionally resisted attempts of subjugation. The people of the mountain dispatched soldiers with the orders for my capture. I evaded them and went deeper into the mountains. My search for a base from which to guide my mission ended when I found the Castle of the old God, Sa'adah. The castle where we live and train now. It was a fort that stood guard over a valley. My takeover of the fort was conducted without any significant bloodshed. To effect this transition I employed a patient and deliberate strategy, one which took the better part of two years to take effect. After everything was set up I organized my Order of Assassins. After years of training my Assassins, I sent my commander of the time Altair along with a battalion of my Assassins to win over the villages in the valley and their inhabitants. Next, key people amongst this populace were converted and I had my own kingdom. After such time I activated an ancient spell of eternal youth on my body to never age and I devoted myself so faithfully to study, that in the nearly fifty-five years I was there I never left my quarters. Despite, extensive recruiting and organizational involvement in the growing insurrections happening all over. Nonetheless, I was highly educated and was known for simplicity, thinking, explaining, imploring, dieting, and directing the activities. And apart from philosophy, I was well versed in mathematics, astronomy, alchemy, medicine, architecture, and the major scientific disciplines of my time. A traveler of the world designated me as The Old Man of the Mountain. And as history progressed, so too did my Order of Assassins.".