[66] Eternal Freedom

As the dust cleared and light filtered in through the rubble of what used to be Malfoy Manor, the Order members straightened, knowing that the threat had passed and daylight stood ahead welcoming them. All of them were covered in ashes and blood but the daylight spilling over them brought relief along with it, depicting that once again darkness had succumbed to light.

Those who had enough strength to walk up were searching for their fellows in the ashes, bringing them out into the clearing. The younger members of the order such as the Marauders had taken it upon themselves to support those who were heavily injured during the battle. Thankfully none of the Order members had been martyred though most of them had received fatal injuries and had to be taken back to the Headquarters immediately.

Though the most damage had been sustained by Perseus, Nathan and Eridanus for the three of them had been at the front line in the battle. James Potter emerged from the ashes supporting Nathan and Sirius Black brought out Perseus while Emmeline and Remus Lupin were still searching for Eridanus.

They found him at last in the ruins, he was passed out but breathing much to Emmeline's relief and the two dragged him out of the debris, taking him to the clearing where the rest of the squad was present.

Seeing Eridanus, Perseus and Nathan straightened despite their wounds, their eyes concerned for the boy. Perseus though heavily wounded himself, edged closer to Eridanus's unconscious form, his hand reaching out to gently brush away the dust from his features. "Danny?"

Nathan conjured some water from the tip of his wand splashing it over Eridanus and a slight stir passed through his body as his eyes fluttered open. Grey irises looked up at the faces he recognized so well and relief spread on his features at last seeing that most of them were safe. 

"Dad, Uncle Perce, are you both alright?"

"Yes."

His eyes darted around and then settled on Emmeline in concern which slowly faded into relief noticing that she was fine too, "Emmeline?"

"We are all here, Danny," she took his hand in her own, "we made it through this battle too."

He sat up holding on to James for support and then looked around taking in the mass destruction. The Malfoy Manor had been reduced to a debris and his eyes flickered in sadness for it was the place where he was born and he had a lot of memories tied to the Manor which was reduced to nothing but ashes scattered on the ground.

The darkness from the atmosphere had faded and he sighed in relief, inhaling the fresh sense of being alive and in the light, for the darkness he had to absorb in himself in order to thwart Voldemort had suffocated him from the inside and now that the light was spreading all around, he felt grateful to be alive and away from the dark at last.

Marlene and Lily were tending to Dorcas Meadowes and Peter Pettigrew who had received deep gashes from Inferi while Benjy Fenwick had sent his patronus off to the Headquarters so that the remaining members could come to their aid which they did shortly afterwards and they were all taken back to the Headquarters, disapparating together in pairs of twos and threes. 

***

Back at the headquarters, Demelza was pacing back and forth for she had not been allowed to join the Order members who had gone to fight off Voldemort and retrieve her son from his clutches. Concern dripped from her features as she paced in impatience, for the closest and dearest people to her were once again in extreme danger due to Lord Voldemort while she could not be alongside them hence she had no idea what had commenced.

Soon as the news came in of the Order's victory she breathed out in relief. In the meanwhile Dumbledore had come to the Headquarters as well, assuring her that there had been no casualties from the Order's side though the Death Eaters had suffered many deaths. He also told her that Alastor Moody and the Longbottoms had been dispatched to bring back the squad members to the Headquarters so they would be there any moment.