[55] Fire And Fury

After the warning Perseus had received regarding Riddle's plan to kill Nathan, he had been heavily disturbed. He kept in contact with Demelza much more often as compared to earlier, just to make sure that the two of them were doing well.

But Nathan's decision of joining the Ministry again as an experienced former Auror had been bothering him a lot. In doing so he had put himself out on the front line for Riddle to attack whenever he wanted.

But Perce knew that it would be futile to dissuade Nathan from his decision; the man as always placed the safety of the wizarding community first, even if his own life was put at stake.

That was a code of conduct for a true Auror. And even though Nathan had left the official Auror post years ago, the training inside him hadn't died out as his morals and values were still the same.

He was sitting in front of the fire that crackled in the hearth, penning down a letter to Demelza when sparks began to flicker from the fire, catching his attention.

Surprised as to what could be the reason behind it, he left the quill and parchment, coming cautiously closer to the fireplace. Soon enough a face appeared in the flames and he recognized Lucius malfoy, realizing that the boy had used the Floo Network to gain access to him.

"Mister Burke, Danny needs to talk to you." 

Perce's brow furrowed as Lucius's face vanished replaced by that of his nephew's. "Danny?"

"Uncle Perce, I don't have much time. Luc is staying out at guard."

"What happened? Are you alright?" He had observed the urgency in his tone, realizing that the two had probably gone against the school rules by using Floo Network but also that it would be a very important matter or else they would have never done so.

"I'm fine, Uncle, but I think Mum and Dad are in danger," he spoke up, eyes flickering sideways every now and then from the fear of getting caught, "I have been having that strange burning feeling since the past few days and I know he is up to something evil."

Perseus's face turned ashen at his words because he too had that feeling of dread haunting him since days.

"Please go to stay with Mum and..."

But before he could complete the sentence, he was jerked away as his face vanished.

"Danny? Eridanus?" he called out to his nephew but there was no response from the other side except for a series of crashes and bangs.

Perce leaned towards the flames and the last thing he heard was Lucius's panicked voice urging Danny to stay away from the fire.

The spark in Perce's fireplace increased as well and he drew back, holding his wand at the ready for it seemed as if their conversation had been intercepted. A flaming fist reached out from the hearth but he was quick to react, "Aguamenti!"

A shower of water spurted from his wand, putting out the fire at last.

Though he couldn't help but think of Lucius and Eridanus. Because if their conversation had been intercepted then the two were probably in danger as well.

Then there were also Danny's words of warning nagging at his heart. Perseus knew he had to leave for Hogsmeade as soon as possible, because he couldn't afford to get late if Riddle somehow got to them first.

Making up his mind to tell Belvina and Herbert later, he quickly piled a few clothes and other essentials in his trunk then disapparated, picturing the Whitburg abode in his head.

***

A series of crashes sounded outside the entrance to the Room of Requirement, as if someone was trying to break in. Lucius held his wand at the ready, pointing straight at the door which was about to be bombarded any second, while he kept Danny protectively behind him.

The door burst apart and Lucius formed a shield around the two but the entrant lowered his wand upon seeing them. 

"Malfoy?" Surprise was evident on his features as he spoke.

"Rosier," Lucius nodded in acknowledgement, lowering the shield but not allowing Danny to step out, "pray do tell what urged you to make your haste here?"

His eyes flickered over the fireplace in the corner which was no longer burning, "a Floo conversation going on in secret could urge anyone to make haste here. And seeing you behind it makes me a bit anxious."

Lucius chose to ignore his pointed remark, "there was no need for you to get anxious. I came here for family reasons, that is all. Though I do not hold you accountable for all that I do." 

Rosier was curiously looking at Eridanus as if trying to figure out the reason to his presence as well, "very well. But next time, keep in mind that all the fireplaces are being monitored. You won't be lucky to slip past."

Eridanus was closely listening to their conversation and to him it seemed as if the two intentionally did not want to talk openly in front of him. Deciding to resolve the issue, he spoke up, "Luc, I have a class to attend."

His steely eyes flickered from Rosier's face back to him as if weighing out whether to let him leave or not.

"It's okay, Whitburg, you can leave," Rosier remarked offhandedly, and upon Lucius's nod, Eridanus stepped out though he couldn't overlook the tension between the two housemates, quite akin to a stiffness before starting an argument.

After he had left, Rosier turned to face Lucius, "family reasons? Since when did the Whitburgs become part of the Malfoy family?"

"None of your business."

"You do realize that I have been tasked to monitor each and every communication that goes in and out of the castle, be it in the form of mails or Floo Network..."

"I reckon the word you are searching for is interception," Lucius gave a cold reply, not willing to continue with the conversation further, "now if you will kindly step aside, I have some other duties to attend to."

"Your duties to our Lord come first and foremost."

"You do not have to remind me, Rosier. And next time refrain from trying to interrogate me regarding my personal matters or else I shall have to speak to Bella regarding your placement."

Rosier backed off though there was a smile on his face, "no need, Malfoy. I can do my tasks very well and I know that no one, not even you, are to be exempt from inspection. Or rather, especially you."

His eyes flashed in irritation, "I am not interested in finding out the meaning behind your words. Step aside."

Though it seemed as if Rosier had found a slight upper hand as he refused to do so, "oh but I am interested in letting you know. You have been acting very suspiciously since the past few days."

"May I remind you that all of us have been acting very suspiciously ever since we got recruited," Lucius replied in a somewhat stern tone, "you have your tasks to attend to and I have mine. The more you stay away from me, the better it will be for you."

He was about to leave the Room of Requirement as well when Rosier spoke, "and that Whitburg friend of yours... Is he ever going to be a part of us? Madam Black seems highly interested in recruiting even younger minds."

His jaw clenched as he spoke, "this does not concern Eridanus."

"If you are going to be doing all your secret meetings with him, you may as well tell him the biggest secret you have kept from him."

"What part of I don't hold you accountable for all that I do did you not understand?"

There was no answer from his side only a short amused chuckle.

"As for recruiting even younger minds, I hardly suspect Bella is able to deal with all the responsibility she has on her hands now by recruiting the likes of you," Lucius stated and left, not even bothering to hear his reply.

***