[44] Alleviation

Perseus woke up to the sound of gentle tapping on his window. A snowy owl was waiting outside, presumably with a letter tied to its tiny leg. He got out of bed and opened the window, letting the owl hop in. The envelope bore his name and he could easily recognize his cousin's handwriting.

Perce had shifted in with his aunt and uncle shortly after they had come to visit him for the first time at the Whitburg abode. Both Belvina and Herbert had grown rather lonely after Demi's marriage and so she had insisted to her nephew upon moving in with them.

In that way, they now had him as their support and weren't as desolate as they used to be. Furthermore, Belvina's motherly instincts towards Perce hadn't allowed him to part with them again either.

However, he visited the Whitburgs often; much more frequently than the older Burkes did, to be honest. The past five years had worked as a sufficient recovery period for him. Reconciling with his family and getting to know his past self better through the accounts from his loved ones had helped him come back to normal. He had also begun to use magic again, practicing along with Eridanus, under the careful supervision of Demelza and her parents.

The letter in his hands was from Demi asking him to join them on their trip to Diagon Alley. Eridanus was starting Hogwarts that year, therefore a trip to Diagon Alley was a must as it was the only place from where they could get all of his school stuff.

He gave the owl a few tidbits to devour before it hopped off the window sill soaring away to Hogsmeade. A small smile danced on his face; Demi had written that they would be getting him a wand from Ollivander's as well. He was no doubt rather excited for that.

Of course he had had his own wand; an ancient family heirloom treasured to the Burkes which had been handed down since generations and was given to him by his father. But that wand was currently in Riddle's possession so the only other alternative was buying a new one.

The clock chimed eight in the morning. Knowing that it would soon be time for breakfast, Perseus carefully placed the letter back in the envelope and headed to the bathroom to freshen up.

As usual, his aunt and uncle were waiting for him at the table. He bid his greetings upon entering the room and took his seat.

"Someone is in a very good mood today," Belvina remarked playfully with a soft smile upon noticing his cheerful outlook.

"I got a letter from Demi this morning," Perseus replied, "they are going to Diagon Alley to buy Danny's school stuff."

"And you're going with them, aren't you?"

He nodded in affirmation, "she said I could buy my wand from there as well."

Herbert affectionately patted him on the back, "I see, so that's why you're so glad."

"Now son, you might want to hurry up with your breakfast," Belvina spoke, "because I'm quite sure they'd be here soon to take you with them."

She was quite right in saying that because true enough, the doorbell rung shortly after they had finished breakfast, announcing the arrival of the Whitburgs. The door opened and a rather excited Eridanus rushed in, hugging both Belvina and Herbert in his usual way of greeting his grandparents. After them, he turned to Perseus and shook his hand, "how are you, Uncle Perce?"

"I'm fine," Perseus smiled at the boy, "however, you seem quite excited than usual."

"Is it too obvious?" he asked, raising an eyebrow, his features morphing back into a rather serious look.

Perce held back an urge to laugh, "now it isn't."

"But I guess it's normal to be excited," he resumed, "I'm going to Hogwarts and as far as I know, that's quite a big deal."