[32] Narrow Escape

A sickening crack resonated within his head shortly after the endless spinning subsided. Nathan had no idea where he was, the last thing he recalled was an unstoppable kinetic mass reaching out towards him, engulfing him in a storm of black dust. Blinking twice to let his eyes adjust to the surroundings, he sat up grabbing his throbbing head in his hands. 

He was in a crowded place, people rushing past him in haste. A few of them had stopped and gathered around him as well, as pairs of curious eyes glanced down at him. Someone grabbed his hand and pulled him to his feet, "hey Mister, are you alright?"

As his vision adjusted, he recognized the place as Knockturn Alley. He had been standing in front of Borgin and Burke's Dark Artifact shop and the person who had pulled him up was Mr Borgin himself. Staring at the shop's banner rang a bell somewhere in his head especially the word Burke inscribed on it. 

Burke. 

Perseus Burke.

"You should be taken to St. Mungo's," Mr Borgin had released his arm but was standing beside him, "looks like you just got out of a terrible fight."

"I'm fine, Sir," he replied, "I'll go to St. Mungo's myself, thank you."

Nathan was internally thanking his luck that no one had recognized him there or else he could be in trouble. Perseus's words of warning were echoing in his mind; he had to get to the Ministry safely before he got caught again. There were spies everywhere and in his current state, he couldn't hope to stay alive for long.

He had to find someone who he could fully trust and even the Ministry was accumulated by spies. There was only one person who he could fully trust to be on the right side. But to get to him, he would have to go to Scotland so he decided to take care of his wounds first, in order to make sure he was fit enough for the journey.

For the time being, he decided to go to his old friend and fellow Auror, Nobby Leach. Leach was also a senior Auror who was at the moment being considered for a viable number of opportunities including the Head of the Auror Department due to his diligent performance and remarkable success in all his missions. He was also one of the very few Ministry members who were aware of Nathan's confidential mission to join the Dark Wizard group rising in Albania and work as a spy for the Ministry.

Nathan knew he had to be very cautious for one wrong decision could put not only his life in trouble but also cause damage to the Wizarding World on the whole. Even though at first he had actually thought that his savior, Perseus Burke, had gone a bit insane. But now as his head had cleared and he was slowly coming to terms with the situation, he realized that each word he had said to him was true.

Lord Voldemort was no doubt a dangerous threat hanging over the Wizarding World akin to the sword of Damocles which could fall down and cause infinite destruction at any moment.

He no longer had his wand in his possession thus he was unable to disapparate to his desired location. Knowing that without the wand he was quite equal to a common Muggle, he hired a cab and gave the directions to Greek Street where Nobby Leach's residence was located. 

Throughout the ride to Greek Street, all he could think about was Perseus. His words haunted him and whenever he closed his eyes, those sorrowful blue eyes and ghostly pale face would flash in front of him. He had no idea what would have happened to Perseus after he had opened the portal for him. 

According to his own words, using the power to open up a portal would be the last straw for him. And even though, Nathan had no idea what the power was and how Perseus was able to control it, still all he had done so far was help him escape. And he wanted to return the favor; by clearing Perseus's name from all the accusations put on him and alarming the Ministry of the intensity of chaos they were about to face due to Lord Voldemort.