[21] The Forbidden Fruit

Back at Knockturn Alley, things were not going so well for the younger Burke brother. Apparently, Demelza had fallen mysteriously ill. She would hardly come out of her room and refused to talk to anyone.

Both Belvina and Herbert had no idea what could be the cause to her sudden estrangement. Belvina had tried many times to ask her daughter what was troubling her, but had received no satisfactory response since Demelza would either start crying or just not reply at all.

Herbert thought it was just a case of post traumatic stress. She had lost her cousin and also her best friend so obviously it would take some time for her to settle down. However, Belvina could sense that Perseus and Renata were not the cause of this sudden mournful situation of her daughter.

She knew there was something Demelza wasn't telling them. Something which was tearing her apart from the inside. Something which she wanted to get rid off but couldn't.

One night, Belvina decided to ask her once and for all, since she couldn't bear to see her daughter in such a pitiful state. When Herbert had gone to bed and was fast asleep, she took a lantern with her and climbed the stairs to the top where Demelza's room was located.

She knocked gently and soon after, the door was opened by Demelza. Belvina's heart shook at seeing how pale her daughter had become, her beautiful features now clouded with worry and her delicate frame shivering as if from cold.

"Demi, what has happened to you?" she made her sit down on the bed and soon as she asked her the question, tears started to roll down from her daughter's distraught brown eyes. "Honey, please, don't cry. Just tell me what's wrong. I promise I will do my best to help you."

Demelza didn't speak instead she buried her head in her hands crying further, "oh Mother, what has happened to me is something I can't tell you. You won't be able to listen."

"Demelza please..." Belvina stroked her head tenderly, holding her close as if she was a little child who needed warmth and comfort.

"Mother... I... I have sinned and now I am paying the price for it."

"What do you mean?" Belvina had no idea what she was talking about, "what sin? You're our angel, Demi, you have never done anything wrong."

"This time I have done a lot wrong," her voice broke as the sobs choked her from the inside, "but I couldn't... I just didn't even realize what happened... and... and... I don't know how but it just... I... I'm so so sorry, Mother."

She turned her face up so that she was looking straight into her eyes. Her words were terrifying her and she wanted to know what was it that was bothering Demelza so bad and which sin she was talking about. "Look, sweetheart, you can tell me everything, I promise I'll try my best to understand. I won't rebuke you or blame you if that's what you're scared of. Just tell me what have you done."

The assurance and trust in her voice seemed to have calmed her down a little. But it still took her a long time to bring herself to finally speak, "Mother... I... I'm pregnant."

For a second, Belvina couldn't believe her ears. She sat still as a statue however her hand that was stroking Demelza's hair, grew limp as if she had received a great shock. Finding out that one's daughter is carrying a child out of wedlock is something which is never easy on any mother.

"Pregnant?" her voice came out in a whisper as if scared to say it out loud, "but how?"

Demelza burst into tears again and as always seeing her cry was what Belvina couldn't bear. She pulled her close again, gently running her fingers through her hair as her previous words rang in her ears.

"I'm sorry, Mother."

"But Demelza tell me who it was, and how... How did all this happen? I have never let you out of my sight ever since Renata's funeral. How could this be possible?"