Chapter 21

COLE'S POV

I knew Emily was thinking the worst. In my defense I did tell her not to freak out.

Emily's hand began to shake, the Polaroid that she held of Faith shook along with her.

"I can't do this." She said.

"Do what?" I asked.

She closed her eyes and tilted her head back.

"This. Not now."

She didn't have to go into detail. I knew that she meant talk about Faith. Talk about why the photo was on the dead FBI agent. Why I took it. What it all meant.

Should I have just hid it from her? Would it have come back to bite me in the ass? Will this?

EMILY'S POV

We made it to school. That is all I could focus on.

So many things were trying pull my attention away. What questions would I ask Cole when I was ready to talk about this? Why wasn't I ready now?

I had a bad feeling. It stayed with me as I got out of his car and walked into the building.

Emma met up with us at my locker.

"Hey, guys!" She sounded cheery.

"Hey." I mumbled as I put the things I didn't need away.

"Did you two come in together?" Emma asked.

Cole was immediately on guard.

"Yep." I was brutal with my response as I slammed my locker and flashed a fake smile to her.

Both of them followed me into our first class and as we sat down Emma grabbed onto Cole's arm clearly trying to get him to stop looking at me. He was trying to read my expression.

I was falling apart on the inside. Imagine me running around my brain while it's on fire but masking it with an attitude as my way of coping. Cole knows this about me. Why was he trying so hard to figure it out?

"Good morning students! I won't take too much of your time. As you know we only have a few weeks left now, this project needs to be finished up in 2 weeks. You may continue your work on everything."

"Do you we really have only two weeks left?!" Emma shrieked while pushing Cole back to so she could see me.

I nodded yes.

"Sean could you help me after school?" She battered her eye lashes at him.

Her snarky voice rotted my ears. And that name...Sean. I almost forget he was using an alias.

"I have plans, sorry."

"With her?" Emma rolled her eyes at me.

Cole didn't know what to say. Whenever Emma was rude it's like he was in a trance. He wasn't use to going to school with girls, only kidnapping them.

"We're going to a forest after school. The one on the edge of town."

"You are?"

"We are?" Cole repeated Emma's question.

"Yeah. I need pictures for my project." I looked at Cole.

He plastered a fake grin and nod but his eyes showed anger. He couldn't treat me like he does in private here, he had to be nice. He didn't like when he wasn't in charge.

He is nice in private. My conscious poked me. Was he though? Or was it just pretending?

Everything about this day was not going smoothly. I just needed to get through the rest of this day without having a meltdown, that was reserved for home.