Chapter 47-The Maiden in Distress

Start from the beginning

Xiu Xiang clicked her tongue in annoyance. In her rush to enjoy the day, she had forgotten that she tossed aside her mask the day before. The sound of oil sizzling and splashing entered her ears. A delicious scent wafted towards her nose. In the end, she decided that as long as she sat several tables away from them with her back turned, there was no way they would notice nor recognize her.

"Old man, one bowl of noodles, please!" Xiu Xiang chirped.

Since her back was facing the Circus Troupe, she hadn't noticed that Yao Yao among the group had heard her. No one in the group aside from Yao Yao recognized her voice. A look of delight and fear flashed in her eyes.

Yao Yao got up to her feet wanting to confirm her suspicions. She hasn't forgotten the person who rescued her from the bandits despite feeing scared.

"Yao Yao? Where are you going?" her father asked. Everyone was already finished with their meal and was ready to head back.

"Nowhere. I just want to check something out. I'll be right back," Yao Yao replied. The troupe didn't think much of her getting up as they needed to hurry up and get back to perform for their audience, so they quickly left her behind, disappearing amongst the crowd.

With each step Yao Yao took, her heart sped up. There was fear and anticipation. She was scared yet she admired Xiu Xiang. She couldn't understand these feelings of hers and wanted to see Xiu Xiang again to make sense of it all. Just as she got closer, she heard a few male voices speak up.

"What is a beautiful young lady like you doing all alone? Why not sit down and join us?" Two men dressed in wind worn clothing, stood up from their table. They had long noticed Yao Yao and had been waiting for her to be alone like a young bird separating from her flock.

Just one look and anyone could tell that the two men weren't good people. Yao Yao instantly backed away, looking like a frightened little lamb. Her shivering little figure only seemed to entice the two men as they drew nearer. Their actions quickly drew everyone's attention, yet not a single person stepped forward to help as it was a normal occurrence to see riffraff causing trouble.

"I don't want any trouble. Please let me be," Yao Yao managed to say under immense pressure. Her eyes subconsciously fell on the slender back several tables away. Not once did the slim figure turn around.

"Come with us. We promise not to hurt you," the two men teased. They grinned mischievously at Yao Yao. Their eyes glimmered with ill-intent. They hands reached out to grab her.

"No!" Yao Yao avoided their hands and rushed towards the one figure in blue, hoping to catch her attention, however, her foot caught on one of the small wooden stools. Her hip smashed into a table, knocking it over. Like a domino effect, the table hit a nearby wooden pole. That pole in turn fell over right onto the small stall where the old man was preparing the hot sizzling noodles. The oil splashed into the old man who toppled over, screaming out in pain.

Startled by what she had done, Yao Yao froze on the spot. This caused her to be instantly caught by the two men. They laughed at her trembling figure and started to pull her away.

"Let me go! Someone, help!" she screamed.

SMASH!

A small wooden bowl came flying out of nowhere, smashing into one of the evil men's head. Hot oil noodles spilled down the front of his face.

"My eyes!" screamed the man as he tumbled to the ground. He clawed at his face; his eyes burned from the hot and spicy scorching oil. His partner turned his head in the direction where the bowl had flown from. Nearby the broken stall, he saw a slim figure in light blue helping an old man stand up.