In the name of friendship

Start from the beginning

"I don't really know what powers everyone is waiting for me to reveal..." he said, shrugging.

"Before that, you must understand that you cannot have unlimited powers. No fairy can. We, the Amalghams, can change our shape, we can go invisible, and some of us can even fly, like Thyme. Not all fairies can fly, as you well know. Some have big powers, others smaller. Some powers are beneficial, others even dangerous for the fairy who performs them. Sometimes, a charm can only be used once in a lifetime, with dangerous consequences. As is the charm of Far and Away. And it can only be done by a Great Fairy or a descendant of them. But after using it, for a while, that fairy loses all the magic. Lavender was almost killed by this charm. And you have it, I'm sure of it. But this power can only be used once in a fairy's life so it must be used wisely. Your powers, when they come out, are truly great," she said, putting her hand on his shoulder, her eyes sparkling.

Ferry forced himself to smile, but his eyes betrayed him.

"What is it?" she asked.

"I don't know if I'm ready," he said. "I mean, on one hand, I want to help my people, to defeat the enemy and all the rest ... But on the other hand ... I don't want to leave this place, Rosemary," he said softly. "This is my home. All I know is here: my mum, my friends, the girl I like ..."

Rosemary turned serious, "You see, Garrett, sometimes we can't just do what we like. Sometimes we are forced to do things we like less or don't like at all. And believe me, people like me know this better than anyone. We were created to serve our masters. Those like you."

Ferry frowned, "But I don't see you as my servants. You are my friends."

"Maybe we're your friends here. But in Akna, things are different," she smiled bitterly. "In Akna, we are forbidden to show our feelings."

"Hmm, all of a sudden Akna doesn't look like the promised land, does it?" he said.

"It's not," Rosemary added. "Every nation, no matter how noble or advanced, has its flaws. But there is hope. Even for those like us."

"Hope?" Ferry wondered.

"Yes, hope. Some of us have risen above their condition. This means that our purpose is not just about serving. Our happiness is not only in the satisfaction of our masters. We are more than that."

"Sage," said Ferry.

"Sage," Rosemary agreed. "He is no longer just a fairy to help in the household. If he can turn into a fearless warrior from a house fairy, capable of his own choices, it means that there is hope for us, too."

Ferry hated to admit that Sage, of all his Guardians, was the one who evolved the most in the human world.

"But doesn't that mean it's against Akna's laws?" he asked.

"Sometimes, you need to resist them, if they are outdated and no longer serve the times. I think in Akna, the time for change shall come. And you are the one who will bring it," she smiled. "That's why you're so important to us all."