Shelters and sweet smells. 7

My whole body ached as I stood, bashing my head into a shelf directly above me.

"Ouch..." I whined, rubbing the back of my head.

We had been asleep for a while now, taking a peek out side I would say from where the moon was in the sky it was about ten o'clock, so that would have been about six hours since we got here.

Standing out in the night, I cracked my back and stretched out my long legs and arms. It felt nice to be outside without being pelted by rain. A chilly breeze ran across my wet clothes and hair, sending a shiver through my spine.

A small house was in the distance, probably the owner of this shed. We would have to leave by sunrise, I didn't even want to think about the consequences if we didn't...

I let out a long yawn, I still was tired and in need of some food. I would have to get some from a trashcan outside of a restaurant in town. I hated going into town, it was always so nerve racking.

Lacking the energy to stay awake, I walked into the shack and laid down next to Clay. His furry body kept us warm in the cold night.

Frantic visions flooded my mind. Two kids playing in a field, lightning, laughing, blood, party's, guns, and murder all passed through my head faster than I thought possible. And they ended with me, screaming and falling, blood dripping down my chest from a bullet hole.

Gripping the blankets I sat up and screamed, my heart racing.

Clay jumped to his feet, bracing himself for whatever it was that had startled me. He scanned the area, when he came up with nothing he gave me a questioning look.

"S-sorry, bad dream..." My hands were shaking and my voice was squeaky, fear still present in my thoughts.

"What was it?" He seemed worried. Giving a small sigh, he sat back onto our makeshift bed.

"Wel-" I started, but quickly shut up when I saw Clay's face. He was looking over my shoulder to what must be a not-so-pleasant surprise. Whipping my head to behind me, I stood up quickly as my eyes fell upon a small figure. A young girl stood in the door to the shed, mouth hanging open with some dandelions in her hands. Her eyes widened to the point where I thought they would just pop out of her skull, shutting her mouth a bit she let in a sharp breath before letting out a full fledged scream. Man that girl was loud!

Heavy footsteps came from aways away, hurrying to the small child. A scruffy looking man stepped into view, his short beard and tousled hair dirty from yard work. His big hands wrapped around the fragile girl, scooping her into his arms.

"What's wrong sweetie?" His voice was kind but rugged, making me want to run.

He peered into the small shack, bending down to see inside before letting out a gasp. I froze, my eyes wide and breath short.

His face softened after his initial shock, "Well hello there."

I couldn't speak, when I tried all that came out was a couple squeaks. I trembled at the sight of this man, he was definitely a hard worker, his muscles were huge! He could break me in half if he wanted to.

"Are you hurt?" He seemed kind. He held his hand out for me, hoping I would follow him out of the shed. I stood my ground, not because I was being stubborn or acting tough, nope, terror is what kept me in place.

Clayton nudged my calf, telling me to move forward. I stumbled but caught myself and walked out of the shed, my heart beating a million times a second. I felt like I was going to pass out.

The man moved so I could get out without having to scoot past him. He looked me over in the sunlight, his face shocked as he scanned over my battered and bruised (most of them my own fault) body.