XXXII.

Beyoncé - A Week Later

"Bruno, you know you're not suppose to be on my couch." I scolded Aaliyah's now three-month old puppy. He made the signature face of innocence before plopping down in my lap and snuggling against my swollen belly.

"I know you miss them, .. so do I." I mumbled before stroking his soft head.

Everyday since I've given birth, reality was starting to set in that I didn't have my boys by my side, no matter how many hours I spent in the NICU with them. Having to leave was the worst part of my day as I feared that they would grow apart from my touch. I also struggled to understand how they would adapt once they were home, and how Jay and I would manage to juggle their newborn behavior. I would find myself in their nursery all throughout the night pumping my aching breast and finding ways to control my tears and raging emotions. I understood that they were receiving the best care to remain healthy, but it still bothered me that I couldn't bring them home; I knew having a twin pregnancy was a risk, but I never thought my journey would end this way. Was it selfish of me want them all to myself?

"Mom I'm so sorry he's up there! Let's go-" Aaliyah spoke, breaking my depressive train of thought.

"It's fine, baby. He's okay."

She stood silent for a moment then took a seat on the cushion beside me. "Are you okay?" She mumbled. I felt bad that she felt as if she had to tread lightly due to my sensitivity, but if anything, having her around was a blessing. She was so receptive when meeting her brothers and did a great job handling their fragile bodies during feeding and changes; I knew she'd be a big help when they came home.

"No," I replied with pure honesty, "But I'm making it. I have hope that things will turn around."

Aaliyah gave me a small pout, "They will, ma. I can't wait to see them after school today; I get dibs on feeding Amias first." She changed the subject.

A hearty laugh escaped my lips causing Aaliyah to smile as well. "Whatever you'd like, baby. I just miss them so much.."

"Well Dr. High said they'll be coming home by Saturday, right?"

"She did, but nothing is definite; Amias still isn't doing his best." I revealed.

"I understand," She said quietly before lowering her head. "We don't call him trooper for nothing, huh?"

I could sense she was trying to lighten the mood, but tears became my only response. "I'm sorry." I said right away before slowly standing to my feet. Bruno followed behind toward the kitchen and stayed by my feet as I coached myself to get it together before taking my daily dose of pain medication. I was thankful that my incision was healing nicely yet I still experienced painful cramps and even worse muscle spasms; not to mention the need to still wear overnight pads and granny panties.

"Mom, I really didn't mean to make you cry." I heard Aaliyah said from behind me.

"You did nothing wrong Aaliyah I'm just, .. a wreck." Soon after, I felt her warm arms around me and I melted at her act of affection.

"Want me to stay home and keep you company? I have no problem doing so!" She suggested.

"Yeah, nice try of trying to get out of school. I'll be fine and will see you later; I love you."

After I kissed her cheek, she gave me one last hug before heading up to her room to get ready; this time, Bruno followed in his mother's footsteps. The next person to make their presence known was my superman himself. When he spotted my glare, we shared a smile and eventually met for a kiss.