XI.

Beyoncé

I was unsure how many hours had gone by when I finally opened my eyes. Daylight was still present, so I quickly grabbed my phone and sighed at the abundance of missed calls from Aaliyah, my mother, and Kelly. I decided to call Aaliyah first and slowly sat up in the bed while the phone continued to ring.

"Mom!" She yelled out once the line connected. "Are you okay!?"

I sighed, "Yes Liyah I'm fine. I just fell asleep after my meeting."

"Okay, but you can't scare me like that! You didn't come pick me up, Grandma came and she told me she hadn't heard from you in hours and that you were upset over the phone, so it made me upset and worried then you didn't answer and-"

"Aaliyah!" I called out to stop her rambling. That nasty headache from earlier still wasn't gone so her voice was doing more damage than good. "I'm okay, hunny. I swear. How about you stay tight and I'll be over within the next twenty minutes."

"..Okay." She mumbled. We said our goodbyes and while I went to take another hot shower, I decided to call Kelly while waiting for my water to heat up.

"Thank goodness you're alive!" She mentioned right away.

I couldn't help but laugh, "Yes. I'm alive."

"How are you feeling?" She asked in a somber tone.

"I'm really not sure to be honest. I just want to go hug my child."

"As you should. Listen, regardless of what happened today you still did a good job of holding it together. There's no doubt in my mind he will get his way, I even already emailed the judge covering your case and he's up to date on everything."

I let out a sigh of relief, "Thank you so much Kelly, really."

"We're going to get your happiness back, I promise."

I ended the conversation soon after and basked in my steamy shower. When I was finished, I grabbed a towel to dry my damp hair and scrunch my natural curls before drying off my own body. I didn't bother to place any product other than moisturizer and argan oil throughout my hair then I threw on a pair of black yoga pants with a matching black zip up hoodie and UGG slippers. I made in to my car pretty quickly and felt even better when there was minimal traffic on the way to my mother's. After locking my car doors, I gently knocked on her door and smiled brightly when Aaliyah revealed herself on the other side.

"Mom don't ever scare me like again!" She scolded while I hugged her tight.

"I won't, baby.. I'm sorry I didn't call."

"I forgive you, only if you let me stay home tomorrow!" She asked in an persuasive tone.

I scrunched my face up in confusion and told her I would think about it. "You still not feeling good?"

"The Motrin helped a bit but I think my fever may be coming back." She added.

"Well we'll keep an eye on it throughout the night. Where's your grandma?"

"In the kitchen."

I sent her back to the living room and quietly walked into the kitchen to not startle her. When she noticed my presence, I immediately spoke up, "I'm so sorry about earlier. I had no right to yell at you like that, ma." I rambled, but was taken by surprise when she wrapped her arms around me and settled me into a state of pure comfort. "Mommy not right now .. not with Aaliyah here.." I mumbled while in her hold. She held me tighter and I continued to cry in her arms, for sure that I had no more tears left in me.