61 | blake

Two months later

Two months later

"I hereby sentence the defendant to six months in a juvenile detention center, followed by three months of community service. The restraining order will be strongly imposed."

At the judge's words, my gaze unintentionally drifts to the other side of the courtroom where Mason sits, taking in his expression of shock and denial. Staring at the boy who has wrong me more times than I can count, all I can think is that this is it; after everything Mason has put me through, it's finally over. After today, Mason will be out of my life, and, with the restraining order in place, hopefully for good.

It has taken two months for him to finally get sentenced for his crimes, but I'm not complaining. Mason is getting what he deserves, maybe even less than he deserves, and I'm finally free to live my life without worrying about him and free to be happy.

After deciding to take my case against Mason to court, it didn't take long for other cases to be stacked upon him. I had no idea, but it turns out the infamous Mason Chase had been selling a few drugs around Magnolia Heights, and more than a few eye witnesses were willing to back up this claim.

Two months ago, what Mason did to me was pretty big talk around my town. For a period of time, Mason denied everything, and a lot of people believed I was a liar. However, after news of the drug-selling came out, a lot of people began questioning Mason's character.

I hate myself for it, but I think a part of me will always feel guilty for everything that is happening to Mason. There will always be a fraction within me that is still the girl who loved Mason, and that part of me will forever feel guilty for ruining the future he could have had.

I shake the thoughts off and come back to reality. This sentencing had been private, so the only audience in the courthouse is myself, my family, and Mason's family. Once the judge has dismissed us, I turn to my family with an expression of disbelief, overwhelmingly relieved to be able to say that I'm free.

"He can't get to you anymore, honey," Dad assures me. "It's over. Remember that."

I nod, and my parents soon wrap me in a hug that Brooke quickly adds on to. In this moment, wrapped in the arms of the people I love, with the fate of the monster who has been haunting me finally determined, I feel free. I am a bird who has finally learned how to spread her wings, and I'm more than ready to fly. And I will, all in good time.

I exit the courthouse a few moments later, ready to get on with my life. I've been dreading this day ever since I learned it was happening, and yet it's the first day in a long time I've felt as light as a feather.

I step down the brick steps carefully in my heels, the skirt of my black dress dancing around my legs with the breeze. I'm walking on air, beaming like the sun, as free as the wind. It's a beautiful June summer day, reminding me that I have only one week left of my junior year of high school. One more week before Noah, my boyfriend, will graduate.

The second I think of Noah, I snap out of my thoughts and come face to face with him, along with my best friend. Both of whom have been waiting outside for me to appear and tell them how things in the courthouse went. A wide smile overtakes my features once I spot them.

"How did it go?" Jess asks, rushing up to me with a nervous gleam in her eyes.

I'm grinning as I admit, "Mason is leaving for a while. I don't think I have to worry about him anymore."

Jess doesn't hesitate to throw her arms around me and release a squeal of excitement, pulling me into her and holding me close. I hug her back with mirrored enthusiasm, ecstatic beyond words.

"You deserve to be happy," Jess whispers to me as she holds me. She plants a kiss on my cheek before pulling away, beaming at me.

I turn to glance at Noah, finding that pure happiness radiates off of him. I take a mental photograph of Noah in this moment, wanting to remember his expression forever. His normally dark blue eyes sparkle, reflecting the light of the sun. His smile is wide and genuine.

Noah reaches for me and wraps his strong arms around my waist to pull me into him, his other hand finding the back of my neck, his fingertips getting lost in my hair. When he kisses me, everything around me fades to nothing. I don't think about Mason or the future or Noah's upcoming graduation or the fact that my parents are watching us right now. All I think about is that I've never quite been kissed like this in public, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of kissing Noah Reed.

When Noah pulls back, he whispers in my ear, "I love you, Blake. So much."

"I love you more," I whisper back.

"Impossible," Noah is quick to retort.

"Nothing's impossible, remember?" I remind him, rising to my tiptoes to plant a kiss on Noah's cheek. He takes my hand in his as we join my family and Jess, ready to take on the day.

In this moment, surrounded by the people I love, I feel as if I'm on top of the world. It's as if nothing can take me down, and somehow I know that—if nothing else—I'm stronger than I'd been before.

 It's as if nothing can take me down, and somehow I know that—if nothing else—I'm stronger than I'd been before