28 | noah

I didn't mean for it to happen

Hell, I didn't even want it to happen.

Since meeting Blake Rhodes, I knew I should keep my distance. She's perfect—everything I'm not—someone who deserves to be cherished and loved, what I can't give her.

Though I know I'll never be anything but trouble for her, the addiction I feel for her and the thought of her light entering the darkness that consumes me, the pull to let myself get close to her was just too strong.

I've never been very good at resisting temptation.

These thoughts run through my mind as I watch Blake approach me from across the courtyard. I can't help but stare as she struts toward me, eyes on mine. The sunlight streaming down on her makes it appear as if she's some sort of angel—a fraction of heaven descending down on me. Her blond hair appears golden, like each strand has been coated in glitter. Her warm brown eyes are illuminated by the sun above.

The wind chooses this moment to blow faintly, tossing Blake's tousled waves behind her shoulders effortlessly.

I think I start to drool a little.

"Hey," Blake chirps once she reaches me. "For a second I thought you'd ditched me."

I raise an eyebrow in question. "Now why would you think something like that?"

"Because I texted you to meet me after second!" Blake tells me, gesturing to my phone atop the table. "You never showed."

"Sorry," I murmur. "My phone died." I guess that's what I get for forgetting to charge it overnight after texting Blake until two in the morning.

"Where's Jess?" I ask after a moment, realizing she isn't here.

"She has to spend her lunch period making up for a calculus test," Blake informs me. "I guess it's just you and me today."

"I guess so," I agree softly, caught up in Blake's eyes. I could get lost in her brown irises, trying to study every green and golden fleck within.

Blake bites down on her bottom lip, which snaps me out of my daze. My mood suddenly seems to damper, though it has nothing to do with the girl in front of me. I become lost in thought, shutting down momentarily.

Blake seems to notice a shift in my attitude, as she asks, "What is it?"

"It's nothing." I shake my head, dismissing her concern.

"You can talk to me, Noah."

I think it over for a moment before deciding that it's not going to hurt anything if I allow Blake to know what's on my mind. "It's Caroline," I admit. "She keeps trying to spend time with me and all of this other shit, and it's just . . . weird for me. I almost with she'd leave me alone, you know? I mean, she's not my stepmom yet. What's the point in pretending?"

Risking a glance at Blake, I find that she's watching me intently, listening to what I have to say. Her expression doesn't give away her emotions, so I don't know what she makes of what I've said. After a moment, she bites the corner of her lip and nods.

"I know it's hard for you, Noah," she says. "The move, living with your father, his sudden engagement. I can only imagine how it must feel to have all of that sprung on you at once. So, I get where you're coming from." Blake hesitates, and I can tell she has more on her mind.

Continuing, she adds, "You have to understand where Caroline is coming from, too, Noah. I'm not saying you have to suddenly like her or try your hardest to become close with her; I'm just saying maybe you should try to see things from her perspective. I mean, everything going on in your life is just as new and crazy to Caroline. Just as she was thrown at you, it's the same for her. She doesn't know the first thing about being a mother, but she wants to try. If you gave her a chance, maybe you'd see how great of a person she really is."

Looking at Blake from across the table, I know she's right.

____

a/n: i'm ready to be 18 lol.