21

After going through the papers and internally cursing Trenton, I retired to bed and try as much as I could to avoid him over the next couple of days, it seems like the firm had other plans for us.

He called me into his office and I grabbed the new case file he had assigned me. It was complete and I had closed the case, having failed miserably to get my client a lighter sentence since she was guilty as sin and honestly, she deserved everything that was coming to her after what she did to that little girl. The photo evidence was hard to stomach. In truth, I didn't try very hard to get her acquitted and I didn't regret it. But I was going to pretend I did in Trenton's office.

He looked up at me as soon as I came in. "You did it on purpose, didn't you?" was the first thing he said.

I played dumb, knowing exactly what he was talking about. "Huh?"

"The case I gave you." He stood up and walked over to me. I tentatively took a step back. He stopped an inch away from me. "Huh? Is that all you have to say for yourself? That woman's husband was paying us lots of money to get her freedom. What kind of-Joera, where is your head?"

I feigned surprise at him. "I tried, Trenton. I really tried. But sometimes the best just won't cut it."

He stared in fury at me. "Do you know how much her husband was paying us if she got off or got a lighter sentencing? Ten thousand grand an hour! You were in that courtroom for 5 freaking hours! You didn't try at all, Joera. In fact, looking at the footage from the hearing, you looked to be siding with the jury."

I took in a steady breath. "That woman sexually abused that child. She deserves it all and you know it, Trenton. You saw the horrors and unspeakables that woman did to that 7 year old girl.  Unlike you, I actually know when money matters the least. Your wife would've gotten to say goodbye to you if you hadn't been so busy chasing money. " OK! I know! I know! I shouldn't have said that but I was angry.

He suddenly grabbed me by the shoulders and pushed me into the door, trapping me between him and the closed door. He was breathing heavily and there was a dangerous glow in his eyes as he glared at me, his iron grip on me intensifying with every breath. To say I was terrified would be an understatement!

"What the fuck did you just say?!" he growled.

I was shaking. Never in my life had I been afraid of Trenton but in this moment, my pee was just waiting for me to unclench my thighs. I was about to flood his office. He moved a little and I flinched, trapped, my brain-heart coordination failing me-I swear I stopped breathing.

"You're hurting me," I croaked as I looked him in the eyes. The fire of anger burning deep inside of them seared at me from those cold grey depths. I don't know where I got the courage from but even in my fear, I said it. "I said you would have had the chance to properly say goodbye to your wife if you weren't chasing money." I swear his hands were about to break my bones, the way they gripped. My eyes teared up as I continued to stare at him. Why the hell was I even crying? "Are you gonna hit me? Then go ahead because I regret nothing, Trenton Buscemi. I did what was right! I saved a little girl from the evil hands of her adoptive parents while you were pushing for money. Hit me. I don't care."

His nose flared as he steeled himself to let go of me. "This is your first and last warning," he hissed, poison lacing his voice. "You don't talk about my wife, do you hear me? Don't you dare ever mention her."

I got ballsy. "Or else what?"

He clenched his fist but the voice that came out, it was calm like the seas on a good day. "You don't want to know, trust me. Get out of my office."

"What changed, Trent? Where did it go wrong?" A lone tear fell. "You were such a damn good lawyer before she left-"

"Joera, I'm warning you."

"She made you a better person. You...you taught me that if my gut tells me not to do something, I should trust it. But the Trent I see now, no longer has a conscience. Your wife would be so ashamed of you right now." With that, I walked out, never turning back, not even once.

I spent the rest of the day hiding in my office until closing time. I grabbed my bag and locked my door, determined to leave before Trenton saw me because I had said hurtful things. Hurtful things that were the truth. I didn't want to see him and I'm sure he would have preferred it if he never saw me until he died at this point. Just as I was about to sneak away, taking the longer way that wasn't going past his office, my phone rang.

I hastily took it out and answered. "Yes, Antoine, I'm  on my way from work and I haven't forgotten our date night and no, I'm not bringing a date."

He sniffled at the end of the receiver. Was he crying? What the-

"Antoine?!"

No answer.

"Big head, answer me. I don't have time for your pranks, you know?"

A thin voice I knew came on and it said words that made me go cold at once. "Antoine's been in an accident. He might not make it."

I dropped my phone, unable to stop my hands from shaking, staring emptily at the door. My breath hitched and I trembled from head to toe, feeling like I'd just been dunked in a tub full of ice water. My mind went numb and my legs gave up on me. I went down and hit my head on the black and white floor tile.