20

A knock came on the front door of my house and I quickly jumped back into the pants which I had just discarded as soon as I got into my house. It was almost 8pm. Who could it be at my door?

I peeped through the peephole and the salt and pepper cornrows immediately struck a nerve in me. I was about to give this man the scolding and beating of his life as I opened the door.

"Um...hey," Antoine quickly said, cringing as I raised my hand, preparing to smack him. "Look, I'm sorry. I'm really really sorry."

I huffed. I wasn't really angry now that I saw he was fine but you was still a tad mad that he didn't tell me that he was leaving. He came in and walked straight to the pots on the stove, dipping his fingers into my stew.

"Are you a caveman? Like why would you do that though?" I rolled my eyes and plopped onto the couch. "You're disgusting."

He licked his fingers and when he gauged that the food was delicious, he grabbed a bowl and filled it to the brim as if he hadn't eaten in days then came to sit on the carpet beside me. "I missed you," he said with a mouthful.

I grinned. "I missed you too. But I still hate you. I thought I was your best friend?"

"Oh come on! I wanted to surprise everybody. In fact, I wish my fiance hadn't posted those pictures and then you'd just hear wedding bells. I had fun on the baecation just in case you're curious. We went swimming, bungee jumping, making love, night clubbing, binge watching movies, oh, did I mention making love again?" he winked.

"You're so gross," I laughed, throwing a cushion at him. He ducked.

"What about you? What have you been up to since I left."

I became serious. "Not much...other than the fact that I kissed my female client and I slept with my boss."

"You whore!" he yelled as he placed his bowl on the floor and rushed over to sit beside me, his gossip face on. "I'm listening."

I laughed. "So...there's this case that I was working on and it's about divorce. The woman that was paying me, she kinda kissed me in my office."

Antoine gasped and quickly nodded, encouraging me to go on.

"Then she confessed that she's attracted to me and I was shocked. I mean...I thought she hated me. So yeah, my client is a lesbian that is attracted to me. So after that, I decided to go hunting for a one night stand and then things went south and next thing I know, my boss is going down on me."

"The pale guy?" Antoine cringed. "Aren't you guys enemies? I mean...what the heck? Why him?"

"Well, it just happened." I smirked. "And Antoine, that man knew what he wanted and he wasn't afraid to do it. Heck, even I was surprised and I thought I was experienced. If I may admit it, I honestly think he was the best of them all."

Antoine laughed out loud. "What?! Joera...your boss was your best? Isn't it like awkward at the office and stuff?"

"I sort of kicked him out after the deed was done so no, it's not awkward at all and I'm glad it's that way. But he's colder than before now. I think he hates me."

Antoine gave me a searching look. "Joera...that was a bad idea."

My mouth fell open. "Huh?"

"He's your boss. There's got to be boundaries. You know, for a lawyer, I thought you would have known better."

I just gaped. Was Antoine drunk? What did he mean? "It sort of just happened. It's not like I planned for things to be this way-"

He stood up, taking his plate to the sink. "You work together. An office thing always ends in tears and you know it."

"Look, I'm not emotionally invested in this, alright? And he has made it clear where he stands at this point. Not that I care anyway."

"I hope so. Just do you now. And anyway, I'm looking for a best lady. My girl and I talked and we decided that you're alright."

"Alright? I'm more than alright! I'm perfect." I was offended that he thought I was alright. "I was your number one option all along, right?"

He shook his head. "I was thinking more on the side of a best man and you're a lady so...but we reached a compromise with my girl. You'll do alright." He smirked.

"Get that smirk off your face right now. I should have been the number one person you thought of and..." I began to rattle off the reasons why he should have picked me from the very beginning.

After Antoine's departure, another knock came on the door and I immediately opened it, thinking it was him.

"Did you forget someth-" I stopped and stared at the person before me. "Oscar? What...what are you doing here?"

He looked handsome and my eye immediately landed on his dimple as he gave me a small smile. "I need for talk to you."

I was not gonna have any of this. I wanted to get his case and I had to cut him out. "Look, I know about your bullshit. I know about your bigamy and all. I don't want to hear anything that you have to say. Please leave."

"Joera-"

"You fucking lied to me!" I snapped, getting worked up. "What the fuck do you want from me?!"

"Calm down-"

"Do not tell me to calm down! I told you that you're not welcome here! Leave!"

"I came here to apologise to you!" he yelled, grabbing my wrist.

This infuriated me and I yanked it out of his grasp, grabbing my 'pen' taser which I always had on me no matter what, for protection. This man could be scary and intimidating when he wanted to and that was a side of him that I did not want to deal with. "Do not mess with me, Oscar. Leave-"

He glared at me. Oh how I hated him when he was like this. He had never hurt me but he had the potential to especially with his background as an army man.

His grip on my wrist tightened and so did mine on my 'pen' just as a car stopped in front of my house. He let go and looked over his shoulder just as Trenton stepped out over already apprehensive of Oscar.

He walked over to me and quickly placed his arm around my waist, I, instinctively shuffling closer to him as Oscar let go of me. The one thing I didn't expect was the kiss he placed on my cheek before turning to Oscar who was fuming.

"I haven't been gone for more than a month and you're already fucking your boss?" Oscar clenched and unclenched his fists.

Trenton glared at him, pulling me behind him. "Beat it, Senowu. She's my lady now. You messed up. Get lost."

"Who the hell asked for your opinion, white boy?!"

"Don't be racist," I said, bravely, clutching my 'pen' tightly. "Leave, Oscar. You're not welcome here."

He glared at me one last time and walked off to his car. Trenton didn't let go of me until the car was out of the street. Then he turned to me and we stood staring at each other in silence. He then shoved a stack of papers in my arms before speeding off in his car, leaving me dumbstruck.