10

"Arlington," I said as I stood up, a hardness that I could not hide in my voice.

He gave a faint one side smile as he leaned against the door frame, his expensive cologne reaching my nostrils from where he was standing. He was every bit the rich man with his 'I don't care' attire of some shorts, a plain black tee and some loud neon blue running shoes. His glossy black hair fell down to his shoulders in waves. Damn! He still had that cuteness about him. But I shouldn't be distracted because he was my enemy now.

"Baby girl-"

"Don't you dare call me that," I growled, giving him the stink eye.

He closed the door behind him and came to sit at the edge of my desk, his brown eyes looking at me sexily. So he had come here to seduce me?

"I heard that you're taking my wife's case," he said casually.

I just kept my trap shut and watched him cautiously.

"I'm glad she found a woman like you as a lawyer because you are good at what you do but I am also not happy with that arrangement because I know you are going to crucify me. Which is why I'm going to ask you how much it would take to make you drop her case and give it to someone else...someone less competent."

I scoffed. "The fuck, Arlington?! You wanna play games, fine. But go choose another playground because you seem to be in the wrong place."
I had to be careful about what I said to this man because he could be recording my for all I know. That was a tactic that I used to use on my clients to help them win their cases. No evidence like a recording of someone incriminating themselves word for word on tape. Which reminded me-I had to warn Bassey not to talk to this bastard before me.

Arlington stood up and came over to my side of the desk. I would not be intimidated which is why I stood my ground and stared him down.

"Of all my girls...you were the best," he whispered into my ear and a little shiver went down my spine. Yes, he still had that effect on me but at this point, I would use my hate to drive me against him so I pushed him away from me while he smirked. "Even better than Bassey if I say so myself."

"Who put you up to this?" I asked him, glaring.

His hands reached for me and pulled me closer. I didn't resist. "No one put me up to this. It's fine if you want to take my wife's case but just know that I'm going to get the best lawyers there are in this city and Bassey is going to leave this marriage with nothing but the clothes she had on her back. She contributed nothing to this marriage, spending my money like there was no tomorrow and shit. Once I'm done with her, I'll be coming for you baby girl."

I smirked, adjusting the collar of his tee that needed no adjustments at all just for effect. "We'll see about that sweetheart. Just you wait...just you wait..." I got out of his grasp and sat on my desk. "You may show yourself out, Beasty," I said, using the nickname that only the two of us knew he liked.

He stared at me for a while and I just kept on smirking. "I never wanted us to end that way, you know? With Bassey beating the shit out of you?" He walked to the door.

"She did, didn't she?" I said huskily, earning a throat clearance from him as I gave him bedroom eyes. "I heard that the same goes for you and a little birdie told me that you returned the favour? I wonder how the court and the paparazzi will view women battery...hmmm. Maybe you should choose your mistresses really well. Mistresses who don't tell." I winked.

"What are you talking about? I never laid a hand on any woman!"

I only tooted, my smirk ever growing. "Never? Oh! OK. I heard that hard and solid evidence works better than just word of mouth. I'll see you in court, Beasty."

His face contorted in anger. "You bitch!" he spat. "I'm coming for you just like they came for your stupid boyfriend." He smirked. "A little birdie told me that you didn't even know anything about that ass! You have terrible taste in men!"

"Says one of those men. Self burn...that's rare. Can you enlighten me please then on my dearly departed boyfriend?"

"He has so many secrets he has hidden from you."

I grinned even though it hurt. "You mean Brianna's son?" I asked sweetly.

He seemed a little shocked that I knew. But his smirk returned. "No. Let's just say that you seem to rather be fond of the married ones, aren't you?"

What! What! Aurel was married?! How was he able to keep it all from me?!

"Yeah," I nodded, not allowing my screaming mind to betray my emotions. "The married ones are assholes and I seem to have a preference for such douches. Like you. At least I made you feel like a real man no matter your-" I looked at his crotch area. "-your shortcomings." In truth, Arlington had acceptable not little packaging but he could very well use it. I was just saying this because I was mad. I knew it would get to him because it was his weak spot.

He glared at me. "It still made you scream my name."

"Just to make you feel like you were not inadequate."

He stomped out of my office and shut the door behind him, the walls trembling at the force.

I blushed a little, embarrassed. I had indeed screamed his name because he was skilled but I would never admit to it. Never.

The day came to an end and while everyone else left, I stayed behind trying to find ways of nailing Edward Arlington to the ground. By the time I decided I was done for the day, it was almost 10 pm and I was alone in the offices. And I had forgotten that I didn't have a car since Antoine had driven me here. I decided to call him and he told me to wait up.

I cleaned my office, making the cleaners' work easier and when I was done, I grabbed my bag and went to the parking lot when Antoine told me that he was ten minutes away.

Upon my arrival, I found that some lights were out, giving the lot an eerie darkness. It looked like a scene straight out of a horror movie with only a few cars here and there. Oh no! Not today. I turned to head back to the lift and that was when I walked into a solid chest.

"Sor-" My voice was cut off when the man's hand grabbed me by the neck and pushed me to the floor. My bag with the pepper spray in it slipped from my arm and slid a short distance away where I could not reach it.

"Joera Orlando?" he said gruffly.

"I no speak English," I squeaked, gasping for air,  only to feel his bulk on top of me and his hands seize the collar of my shirt, pulling hard and ripping it downwards.

I tried to scream but he backhanded me across the face, causing some warm blood to run down my nose and mouth. No! This was definitely not happening! I wouldn't allow it to happen!

I remembered the pen in my pants pocket and as the man grabbed me by the neck with one hand and used the other to try and rip my best off, I jammed the pen into the side of his belly and he screamed in agony, slapping my other cheek and falling off me.

I grabbed the chance with both hands and ran to the elevator, slapping the buttons continuously as the man walked towards me.

"Come on," I begged as the elevator doors refused to budge open. The man was almost near and I screamed. "SOMEBODY HELP ME! HEEEEELLPPPP!"

The doors opened and I jumped inside, slapping the buttons. If this man got in here, I was as good as dead. He was only a hand's touch away and I closed my eyes waiting for the doors to close on him. They closed with a loud clank just before his hands could pry them open and I sighed with relief as the elevator ascended.

When I got to my floor, I walked towards my office, glancing back several times to make sure that the man wasn't following me. I quickly tried the door but unfortunately the cleaners had locked it. I cursed them, seeing that I had left my bag in the lot when it slipped from my arm.

The light in Trenton's office was still on which meant that his office was still being cleaned because the light had been off when I left so I ran for it and quickly locked the door behind me before turning around, just to stare at the shocking scene before me.