15

The smell of bacon wafted into the bedroom and I at once opened my eyes only to find the curtains open on one side of the room and light streaming in. I got out of bed and walked to the kitchen only to find Bassey in an apron, busy making breakfast.

I just stared at her. "You know how to cook?"

"I was a housewife. Of course I know how to cook. Help yourself. The bacon is almost done. There's toast and eggs and bacon. That should be good enough. Also, I made you a lunch box of a fruit mix and there's a bottle of yoghurt to go with that. I know it's overkill but I just wanted to show you that I'm grateful for yesterday. It was the first time that I'd actually enjoyed another woman's company."

I smiled as I helped myself to the tasty breakfast. Then I went upstairs and got ready for work. I decided to take my Jeep today because I was in a good mood from the breakfast and the proper lunch box. Edward had been a lucky man who didn't know it.

I sat in the office and looked at my schedule for the day and I realised that I wasn't packed. I had to get my ducks in a row so I started first with going to Trenton's office.

When I got there, I didn't bother to knock and just slightly opened the door to look in if he was there, only to find him in a very very sexual position with the firm's branch manager who had failed to see me and was breathing like an asthmatic patient, splayed on Trenton's desk. Trenton had looked up from when I cracked the door and I quickly closed it and walked in shock back to my office.

"This is why you have to knock, Joera!" I kept chastising myself as I rummaged through my desk, with no idea what I was looking for. "You should knock, stupid woman!"

I failed to hear the knock on my door and was surprised when I looked up. Bassey stood at my door, now changed into a more formal attire.

"Sorry for coming here unannounced but I have some good news." She closed the door behind her and came to sit before me.

"If it's not you cooking again then I don't wanna hear it," I joked.

"It's not about food," she laughed. "Um...look, I'll pay you for your time, OK? Eddy...he decided to settle out of court. He's giving me 10% of everything since we didn't sign a prenuptial."

"That's ridiculous!" I scoffed. "10%?"

She became serious. "It's a lot considering that I didn't bring anything to the table when we got married."

I just glared at Bassey. "The fuck you mean you didn't bring anything. You quit your job as a doctor to support him, gave him a beautiful baby boy and gave him his conjugal rights whenever he required them. He emotionally and physically abused you and you still stayed with him-and you tell me you didn't bring anything to the table? That's some BS and we both know it."

Bassey stared quietly at me. "10% of his properties is worth millions, Joera. That's enough for me. And he's saving me from the emotional exhaustion the longer we drag this out. Truthfully, I want to settle out of court too. And since you're my lawyer, you have to facilitate the smooth process of this transfer of estates."

I clicked my tongue. "So I wasted my time for nothing? For 10%?"

Bassey came over to me and stood before me, her hand on my shoulder. "It's not for nothing. I will be cared for for the remainder of my life and Eddy will have joint custody of the child whom he will support. I have more than enough to get by. Please don't make this any harder for me."

I looked up at her. "Has Trenton said anything about this? Have you told him?"

She shook her head and gazed at me. "Joera...once the divorce settlement is finalised, will I still be welcome here? To see you? As an acquaintance or friend? I will not have as much money as I used to but I'll still be the same Bassey you've gotten to know. Most of my 'friends' have already left when they heard that I was getting only 10% of the Arlington fortune."

I nodded. I mean she was cool and we vibes which was very fundamental for the foundation of friendship. "You're always welcome at my house for as long as we're friends. Anytime. Even if you're just coming over to cook for me. I can't cook to save my life." I laughed.

Bassey beamed widely and hugged me, forcing me to stand up. Then she did the most unexpected thing. She kissed me. Full. On the lips. I was about to shrug it off, thinking it was over excitement but then she just continued kissing me.

I held her away at arm's length. "Bassey...what-"

She pushed my arms away and kissed me again, harder this time. "I love you," she whispered into my mouth.

Sense suddenly returned to me and I grabbed her hand and took it off my breast-not sure how it got there. I stared in shock at her. "Bassey...you're...you're a lesbian?"

She just became quiet, her light brown eyes still staring into my dark ones.

"Bassey...look, it's not something to be ashamed of. I thought I was bisexual too but it turns out that I just liked to experiment a little in college. And now...I thought it was just harmless fun but...Bassey?"

She turned away from me. "Stop. Don't."

"You have nothing to be ashamed of for being a lesbian," I said as I put my hand on her shoulder.

"I'm not a lesbian," she said through gritted teeth as she turned to look at me, then her expression softened. "I...I don't like women and have never liked them."

"But you told me that you loved me," I said softly. "You don't just say that to another woman especially when you're deep in some kissing session."

"I..I just can't help it when I'm around you and it's because I'm...I'm attrac..." She threw her hands in the air as if giving up.

"You're attracted to me," I whispered, disbelief in my voice. "Since when?"

"The first time I saw you. You were in the supermarket downtown in the fruits section and Eddy had gone off somewhere. I thought you were the most beautiful thing I had ever seen but I was married and I was sure not a lesbian but I couldn't stop staring at you. Then Eddy came back and I tried to block you out and I succeeded until when I found out that he was having an affair."

I just stared at her with shock.

"And then I found out it was you and I got so heartbroken. I was angry not at Eddy because he was always cheating but at you. You were supposed to be mine, not his. That's why I went and attacked you. I wanted you to feel the pain that you caused me but you started hating me and I convinced myself that I hated you too hence my rudeness and all. But deep down, I never stopped thinking about you. And now we repaired what we broke but I think I might have crossed the line by saying I love you so I'm just gonna go."

She grabbed her purse and walked out of my office and I just stared after her. I hadn't even fixed my skirt which had somehow ridden high.

I stood there like that for a while until the door opened and Trenton came in. He just stared at me in surprise.

I quickly fixed my dress and looked at him. "I'm sorry for coming into your office while-"

"What were you doing in here? Your lipstick and skirt are a mess," he said.

I gulped and thought of Bassey's confession. "I was touching myself," I quickly said. My excuse was way better than the real story but was just as equally disgusting as finding my boss and the branch manager getting it on in his office, on his desk.

Trenton looked shocked at my reply. "Um... OK. I'm just gonna pretend that we didn't have this conversation and you're gonna forget you saw what you saw in my office."

"How can I when your girlfriend's breathing sounded like she needed an inhaler? It's ingrained in my mind. And your face..." I gave him a disgusted look when I remembered the look he gave me. "Your face when you looked at me...you..."

He nodded. "I got my release. I'm sorry that that happened OK?"