Chapter Eight: Brave

"Boss phone!" Archie shouted.

Jared rolled out from under the car. He needed to hire an office assistant. Archie was good with cars but he sucked at taking and delivering messages. "From?"

"Some Anna from school." He shrugged walking away. "Didn't know you still liked em so young."Jared got up and headed to the office wiping off his hands and picking up the phone. 

"Anna is something wrong?"

"Jared we're gonna need you to come down to the school, Javed and Janaé got in trouble." This was an extremely odd thing for her to say.

 Trouble was not a word you could put into a statement concerning Javed and Janaé Warren. An old trait of his that he was glad they did not inherit.

"When you say trouble, what do you mean?"

"They pranked one of their teachers."

"My kids? Pranked someone? Are you sure?"

"Yes, Mrs West thought it was a gift but it turned out to be a box of spiders. Mrs West is very upset and we need you to come down here."

This had to be a joke. "I'll be right there."

After ending the call he cleaned up and headed off to the school. Not worried because he was sure this would be nothing more than a misunderstanding. There was no way his kids were involved. That was not their forte.

He arrived and headed straight to the office. The kids were sitting on the outside bench he went towards them his face becoming sour at the sight of his crying daughter. Javed was doing his best to console her but she was hysterical. He rushed over to them.

"Janny baby." He knelt in front of her and took her very wet face into his hand. "Oh, my princess what happened baby?" He wiped her face but more tears spilt out of her eyes.

"Mr Warren.."

He heard the secretary calling but ignored her. Janny seemed to be in a different world at the moment.

"Janny?" He looked at Javed whose face was full of anger.

"What happened?"

"Mr Warren, the principal is waiting."

He stood up and stepped closer to her not wanting to raise his voice. "I don't give a fuck what she wants can you not see the state my children are in?"

"It's best if you talk to her first..."

He glared at her and moved back to his kids. If he opened his mouth again they might have to call security to come to get him. Janaé was looking up at him now. The secretary shuffled over to the principal's office.

"Daddy." She cried. "I.."

Jared felt his head swirl as Janny's tear stricken face transported him back to that night when his babies were all scared and helpless. He clenched his fists. Her voice was so distraught and broken now and he wanted blood. He turned around just as the principal appeared.

"Jared...."

"Principal Bennett, what the hell?"

"Jared please calm down."

"Oh I am calm, I want to talk to this teacher."

"She had to leave to get her allergy medication...

"Okay marvellous, what happened?"

"Mrs West opened a gift box at the start of the class only to find it filled with spiders. They are claiming they didn't do it."

"Mrs West huh?" He started. "The same Mrs West that was flunking my kids? The one you said you would handle. Looks like you haven't Anna and where is this box of spiders?"