Chapter Seven: Mrs West

Fifth grade. That was the class she was placed in. It was a long shot that she would end up in a lower grade class. With her qualifications, she was lucky she did not get the sixth-grade classes. She did not mind this class until two names stood out on her roster. It had to be some sick joke that she ended up with these kids instead of the one she wanted.

They would show up to class with smiles on their faces. Greeting everyone and starting off conversations. Especially the girl. She did not seem to have an off button for that little mouth of hers. Until class started. She never said zip unless it was to answer questions. Which, became annoying. She had half expected them to not be so bright. Their mother was not all that bright after all.

Her children though, especially the girl was a regular old Hermione Granger. She quickly learned that she hated it. After spending the first week picking other students instead of them when it was question time and even when no one else wanted to she still refused to let them have the spotlight. They have joined reflections of their parents, and she did not want to hear a peep out of the boastful brats knowing that they would sound just like them. 

She pushed the essay back towards the child. She could not stand how smart she was. "This is wrong, you need to do it over."

Janaé Warren looked down at the work she had done. "No, it's not, I've double-checked it." She protested.

She raised her eyebrow there was that stubbornness of her father. "Are you the teacher of this class?"

"No, Mrs West...but..."

She stood up leaning forward towering over the ten-year-old girl. "Are you the teacher of this class?"

Janaé hung her head. "No ma'am." 

"So then who would know if the work is right or wrong?"

"You would."

"Then sit down and do my work correctly please."

Janaé did not move off at once knowing her essay was correct. She did not know why Mrs. West was making this so difficult. her work was always done correctly with Mr Knox. Why was it not the same now? Had she done it incorrectly before and Mr Knox showed pity in her horrible work? Was she not the straight-A student she always thought she was. Could she be getting dumb all of a sudden?

She sat down, tears fighting to burst out as she stared at the essay she thought she worked hard on. There was no way she had done it incorrectly. It could not be. Her research was correct. She did not copy and paste. She had read and interpreted like she normally did. Why was it not enough for this?

Mrs west smiled a little to herself at seeing the tears fall from her face. Remembering how the girl's horrid mother had just bounced into her life and relationship without concern for the one that was already there. If she had stayed where ever the hell she was with her brats then her life would have turned out so much more different.

Another student, Rebecca, or something handed in her worksheet. Mrs West scanned it. Half of her work was messy and the rest of it was poorly done. Rebecca was not one to do well in class at all. She smiled at the child.

"A plus!" She announced putting a sticker on her work.

Janaé dropped her pencil and put her head down. 

Mrs West shook her head, such a little drama queen.

***

"Janny?" Javed called. "It's home time."

She looked up at her brother. "I'm not done." She then returned to her work.

Javed pulled it off the desk. "Janny forget her!" He yelled. "She doesn't know what she is talking about."