𝟐𝟑 | 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭

Start from the beginning

"I see you and Rebekah have become friends quickly." Klaus noted as he and Adelaide walked in the direction of the bar. It was only a fifteen minute walk. He could speed them both there but what's fifteen minutes to a vampire. He enjoyed spending time alone with Adelaide.

"Mhm," she nodded in response, joining her hands together as she walked beside the hybrid.

"Where are we going after Chicago?" She asked him.

"Wherever the necklace is." She nodded again, biting her lip.

"Why did you choose Jenna?" He seemed shocked by her sudden question, but she needed to ask it. Whether it was because she was curious or whether she thought it would bring her some sort of closure, that would allow herself to forgive Klaus.

"Pardon?"
"Why did you choose my Aunt Jenna for the sacrifice. I mean... you could have chosen any one else." She asked again, avoiding eye contact with him even though she knew he was staring at her.

"Adelaide," he stopped her in the middle of the path, as people walked around them going about their everyday business. "I regret killing your aunt, I do. Only because she was your family. But at the time... your sister had the oldest Salvatore messing up my plans. And I'm sorry for having no choice in killing your sister." She turned to him shocked that he had just apologised.

"You did have a choice though." She cried. "Why was the curse so important for you to break?"
"I didn't have a choice Adelaide." Klaus sneered back.
"Why? Why did you not have a choice. You didn't have to break the curse." She carried on, feeling herself getting worked up.

"Yes, I did. My mother was the one to place the curse on me, to stop me from being able to be who I truly was. My father hated that I was a wolf - he hated me because I was something I couldn't stop or had no say in." She listened as he began to slowly open up to her. She calmed down, watching as he breathed heavily. She reached a hand up to touch his cheek. He flinched away slightly but she didn't pull away.

"Nik," she whispered, trying to get him to look at her. "Talk to me." He slowly turned to look down at her, his head to the side so he could look into her eyes. They had tears gathering in them but she didn't let them fall. "You can talk to me about your past. I'll listen."

"But you won't understand." He told her, his voice lowering.

"Maybe, maybe not. I don't think you understand how similar we can be at times. I've always been the odd one out in my family as well. I was never the favourite no matter how hard I tried. Everyone always picked Elena over me." Adelaide shrugged, looking down, thinking that if she also opened up about herself then maybe Klaus would.

"I wouldn't." She looked back up at him confused.

"What?"
"I wouldn't pick Elena over you any day, love." He told her. I mean, it was pretty obvious he wouldn't cause well... he killed Elena. But the comment made her smile nonetheless.

"You mean that?" She scrunched her nose up, squinting from the sun shining in her eyes.

"I would never lie to you Adelaide." Klaus whispered softly, before he seemed to snap out of kind hearted Klaus that Adelaide was slowly falling for. "We need to hurry to Gloria's." She nodded, stepping back from him as her hand dropped from his shoulder, where it had moved to a few moments ago.

"Right," she coughed, sending him another smile as they began to make their way back to Gloria's bar.

··

"Gloria's gone." Klaus announced as he stormed back into the warehouse Rebekah was, Adelaide following behind him. "She's cleared out. We need to find a new witch immediately." Adelaide saw that Stefan was there as well, standing in front of the blonde Original.

"What's going on?" Klaus asked, looking between Stefan and Rebekah. Adelaide sent Stefan an alarmed look, crossing her arms over her chest.
"Something's wrong. He was asking about Michael. He's not with us, Nik. I can sense it." Rebekah told her brother, sending a look to Stefan.

"She's wrong." Stefan denied. "Klaus..." he shook his head but Klaus moved forward with his vampire speed and snapped Stefan's neck.

"Klaus," Adelaide gasped, rushing to Stefan's side as he hit the floor. She knew he could wake up eventually as he was only temporarily dead.

"Come on, love. Looks like I know where our next destination is." She looked up towards the hybrid. "Mystic Falls."

··

Adelaide sat in the front of the car as Klaus drove. Stefan had been dumped into the moving truck which carried around the coffins, Klaus's siblings were in while Rebekah sat in the back seat.
"You didn't have to snap his neck." Adelaide told Klaus.

"Yes I did." He disagreed. "I have a feeling he's hiding something. And I am going to find out what." Adelaide tried to calm her heart rate down. "Why so nervous, love?" He asked her.

"I just haven't seen anyone in so long." She lied, well it was kind of the truth. Klaus seemed to believe her though. "Who's Michael?" She asked curiously. Klaus glanced at her before looking back to the road. He sighed, tapping his finger against the steering wheel.

"A story for another time." She nodded, understanding that he would open up to her when he was ready.

"You know, I've always hated Mystic Falls." She spoke up, looking out of the side window as she held onto her seatbelt to keep it from digging into her neck.

"Why's that love?"

"Too many bad memories I guess. It just made me feel trapped. Everyone and everything is so suffocating." She explained, winding her window down slightly to get some fresh air.

"Where would you like to go?" He asked her, a small smile gracing his face.

"Rome, Paris, London, the classic destinations." She grinned dreamily, thinking of visiting all of them. "After High School I wanted to go traveling. But then the car accident happened and everything from there went downhill." She explained, her smile faltering which Klaus took notice off.

"When all this is over, and I can make my hybrids... I'll take you. Wherever you want. We'll travel the world." She looked over to him, shocked.

"Really?"

"Why not? I've done it before, and I have to say, definitely something everyone should give a go." She chuckled at him. For a moment she completely forgot about where they were heading, about Rebekah in the back of the car, about the fact that Klaus was only hours away from finding out Elena was still alive. Her mother always used to tell her to live in the moment. And that's what she was currently doing. Living in the moment, with her and Klaus talking about traveling the world together. But the feeling was short lived when they passed the WELCOME TO MYSTIC FALLS sign. 

··

⧫ 𝐩𝐮𝐛𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐝 𝟑𝟎 // 𝟎𝟓 // 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟎 ⧫