Chapter 4

I was exhausted.

My head stayed down as I relied on my feet to keep me upright without the help of vision. I picked my way over moss blanketed roots and over depressions. Green was this world. Everything I saw was green and lush and growing and living and I recognized herbs I was familiar with living plentifully here while plants of the same kind were in clay pots fighting for sunshine in the little herb garden my mother and I shared in a pitiful rectangular plastic basin filled up with little clay pots and bowls and cups stuffed with dark soil and sewn with seeds and herbs and the hope of their growth.

Dax kept nudging me and touching my arms and shoulders trying to get my attention but I never spared him more than a glance. All I wanted was to stop right here, plant myself with the herbs among the moss beds and sleep for a year or two. But I kept trudging on in the failing light, following the dull thuds of hooves walking over the forest floor and the occasional kick of a pebble as apes on horseback walked on. I was forced to raise my head when we reached a steep hill that needed to be climbed.

I dug my fingertips into the soft ground and pulled my small amount of weight upwards, following after our simian saviors. I gasped when I felt a strong tug on my shoulders and turned as Dax took my backpack off me. He put it on his front side as he already had his own occupying the space of his broad back.

I gave him a look and held my hand out for it back. He shook his head and continued to climb. I reached out and tried to slide it off his shoulder but he stopped me and shook his head at me again. I rolled my eyes and signed, asking him why he wouldn't give it to me.

"You'll be falling asleep on your feet soon. Let me carry the extra weight." He signed back gently.

I sighed, sort of annoyed that he wouldn't let me pull my own weight, but I knew he wouldn't let up, and my back was loosening without the burden of the backpack.

"Thank you." I signed. He nodded and trudged on.

When we made it to the top, a visible path was stamped out on the ground. We followed it until we reached a humongous wood structure. I stopped in my tracks in awe. The great wall towered over me, casting a shadow over my head. At the top, spears were lining the rim, warning anything smart not to come near here. I was shaken out of my reverie when a hand nudged me forward. I glanced behind me and seen it had been a chimp. A chimp with a big spear. It wasn't poised to strike, but I noticed it none the less.

I walked on, trying to lift my heavy feet. Dax grabbed ahold on my hand as we entered the structure. Beyond the outer wall, we walked down a small passage, and I looked upward when I heard hooting, and seen more chimpanzees and even what looked like a young orangutan moving along the wood sticking out, watching as we were escorted into the heart of the massive building.

The passage opened up, and the first thing I noticed was the huge boulder that jutted out sort of like the Great Rock from The Lion King, though this one was smaller, and the pigment had been washed away by the rains, leaving it a bone-like silver color. Apes were all around, chimpanzees, gorillas, bonobos and orangutans. I even seen what looked to be a school class in session. A large orangutan was surrounded by younglings, trying to teach them certain signs, though none paid attention. All the younglings were turned, watching as the party brought us in, and I could feel so many pairs of eyes on me and Dax, that I was shocked shy out of my sleepiness.

We were lead toward a trail leading up to a great tree, growing on a rock that reminded me of a small cliff. The tree was absolutely massive, and must have been hollow, for I could see fire lights from inside. There was a spiral of logs jutting out of the ground and into the massive tree strongly and densely packed together, leading up and up into the tree. Stairs. We were lead to an opening in the tree, covered by a curtain of vine plants, it was dark inside, and I couldn't see what was here, but then, I heard the clank of rocks striking, and the flash of sparks. Soon the cave like area was lit by a little bonfire. I seen an ape move to another on the other side of the chamber and strike two flint rocks together over a pit full of tinder, surrounded by small rocks. The next fire was going in a few moments, and the chamber was well lit.