The doctor sighed, clearly defeated " Well, you had a dislocated ankle , broken ribs, internal bleeding and you also suffered a concussion."

My lips parted slightly in shock "How long have I been here?" I asked Dr Adegoke

"Three days "she replied curtly "We've been keeping you heavily sedated"

I  could hardly believe my ears. Three days. Had my father even come since then?  I began to wonder if I had been left alone at any point in time for fear of Mr Obi and men like him. Were they sure no one had touched me wrongly ? How did they secure the ward ?

"Jasmine " mum's voice brought me back to the present and I looked at her in response.

"Are you okay ?" Aunty Anne asked with concern

"Yes ma" I replied. 

"I'll be leaving now. My shift is over " Dr Adegoke said 

"Oh,  thank you so much Aisha " Aunty Anne replied and followed her outside leaving mum and I alone again

"Has daddy come by to see me ?" Mum nodded "He has been coming at least twice daily "

"Okay" I replied her.

" Jasmine, what really happened,tell me the - "Mum was cut short by the sound of the door and dad walked in looking confident as ever in a green polo with blue jeans and black sneakers. Mum scowled at him as he approached me

"Jasmine! " he shouted "You're awake" . To tell him  "Yeah, I'm awake,  no thanks to you " was at the tip of my tongue but I knew better than to say that. He came to me and stroked my cornrows but I flinched and he looked at me in surprise then looked at mum "Mabel, go home and rest. I'm here now."

"No, thank you " mum replied coldly and I  inwardly sighed a sigh of relief. How could I be left alone with dad in a private ward even if we were in the hospital

"Mabel  don't be stubborn , she's my daughter also , I can take care of her "

I  silently prayed mum would reject his offer "I'll be back in an hour. I'm spending the night " Mum said coldly to dad and I felt like screaming.  She was leaving me alone with him !

After bidding me goodbye and reassuring me she'll be back,  mum left the ward and dad and I remained in uncomfortable silence for some minutes .

I hoped Aunty Anne had not gone home as dad began to speak "Everything I do,  I do for your own good. Your mother spoils you, she doesn't discipline you properly like I do and she sees my method of disciplining you as extreme which is why we won't tell her what happened on Friday "

I stared at him in horror as the words left his mouth.

    He saw my look and stroked me but I flinched again.  He might beat me up. He might tell me how indisciplined and imperfect I  am, he might insult me. There were a lot of things he could do when we were alone. Oh Lord! Where had Aunty Anne gone to?

   "I've come up with something to explain your injuries " dad said "We would tell them I got to your school very angry and I flogged you a little and you were running down the stairs to avoid me when you slipped and tumbled down the stairs." He laughed quietly before he continued "It's a good thing your principal's office is not on the ground floor " He came closer and grabbed one of my aching arms and squeezed it tightly and I winced in pain

"This is nothing compared to what I would do to you if you go contrary to the plan" He released me forcefully and shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans and looked down at me "Your mother has spoilt you,  bringing you up leniently instead of with an iron hand. You went to school to fight after I paid that expensive school fees. Ingrate "

I shook with fear as I looked at the beast in front of me. This was not my father, he had gone. Dad was strict but not abusive.

"You cannot disgrace me Jasmine, rather I would kill you and hang your body at the entrance of your village. And Mr Obi said he tried to get together with him but you refused. Why?" The question was asked in an unusually high pitched voice

       "You didn't let him touch you thinking you're a saint. You're a spoilt brat and sleeping with another man would only boost your street cred. You have my blessings to prostitute yourself but then, if you try it,  I'll kill you myself. Besides, Chidi is a good man , the worst that can happen is that you'll get pregnant and be either disowned or married off."

      Dad laughed  humourlessly and checked his wristwatch " I'm going to the canteen to stay until your mother comes back,  I can't stand the sight of you" he said and went out and I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding.  I could feel tears welling in my eyes and I letter them spill.

        My father was now a violent man, an abuser and I was stuck.

------------------------------
People, sorry that the update is this late. Anyways, Jasmine is experiencing a lot now and I must say ;Love is not abusive.  Whether love of a parent, partner or friend.  None is abusive, people who abuse you in the name of love are deceiving you, they're simply using the love you have for them to their advantage. Do not endanger yourself and please  speak up.  I know it's easier said than done but try.
  Thanks for reading and don't forget to vote and comment.
Thanks and God bless you.