𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟗

Start from the beginning

Shaken, Emma hastily swallowed the mussel, sat back in her chair and took a hefty gulp of ice cold water.

"How are your scallops?" James said with a grin.

For heaven's sake, what was going on here? Was she supposed to feed him one of her scallops now?

Well, she certainly wasn't going to go that. Anyway, there was only one left on her plate. Spearing it with her fork, Emma stuffed it into her mouth. When she'd chewed and finished swallowing, she licked her lips in appreciation and said, "great."

If he was that desperate to try a scallop he could jolly well order a plate of his own.

Shuddering inwardly, Emma experienced an unwelcome flashback. At home, at the back of her wardrobe somewhere, lay an album of wedding photos. Among them was an informal shot of her parents sitting together at the top table during their wedding reception in 1994. Her mother's head was thrown back with laughter as her father attempted to feed her mother the last langoustine from his plate. It had been their happiest days of their lives. Her mother had loved her father and thought he was in love with her. Whereas in all probability he had been secretly congratulating himself on having inveigled himself into her family.

Don't think about it.

Just don't.

"Any word from the happy couple?" Emma said abruptly.

"Lauren and Jeremy? As a matter of fact I had a postcard from them yesterday. They're flying home this weekend, and they've had a fantastic time. Their hotel was right on the beach and they couldn't fault the service, apparently."

"Hot and cold chambermaids in every room, you mean?" Emma pleated the edge of the blue tablecloth between her fingers. "Your cousin was the one in the wrong, you have to understand that. He made all the running with Lauren. She wasn't to blame for what happened before the wedding.

James was relaxed, he smiled and was playful. "You're probably right."

"I am right!"

"Okay, you win. Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore. All forgotten."

Emma was astonished. "Are you serious? Did you always know it was Jeremy's fault?"

James shrugged easily. "I didn't know for sure, but I wasn't surprised. It's the kind of thing he'd do, I suppose."

"What."

"But you blamed Lauren! You stood in my bedroom and argued with me. You accused her of practically seducing your precious cousin! I can't believe this!"

"Come on," reasoned James. "What else could I do? When you're someone's best friend you have to take his side."

"Even when he's a complete utter shit?"

"Even then." He nodded gravely, but with a hint of a smile.

"You defended Jeremy, didn't you?"

"Jeremy didn't do anything wrong!"

"Okay, maybe not wrong. But definitely stupid. And you still defended him, because he's your cousin."

Emma sensed she was being backed into a hole. She felt as if she was being cross-examined in court by a barrister. Of course she had sided with Jeremy.

Damn, she hated losing an argument.

"It wasn't fair, though. Jeremy had to take all the blame and apologize to Lauren."

"And I daresay it's taught her a valuable lesson." Calmly, James added, "next time, with a bit of luck, she won't be so gullible."

Now why did this sound so familiar? Oh yes, thought Emma, she remembered now. She'd had to learn that lesson too.