𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟎

The sound of James' laptop keys clicking was going to drive Emma insane. She and James had been doing research for the past two hours on his laptop and James and Andrew using the books from the library.

Sighing, she closed the thick book she'd been looking through. "Anything?" Emma asked, looking between them.

James shook his head and Andrew closed his book as well. "Nada," he replied.

Emma groaned, slumping back in her chair and letting her head fall back. "Great. So now we've got, what? An ID on this monster but no way of killing it?"

James sighed in response, then pushed his chair back from the table and stood up. "I'm gonna go out for food, considering that Andrew already ate everything we bought on Monday," he grumbled, jerking his thumb over at Andrew who was grinning from ear to ear.

Emma laughed and closed her eyes, happy for the break from research. The words had started to get blurry after staring at them for so long. She didn't bother to open her eyes as James gathered his things and left the library, heading for the garage.

"I'm so tired," Emma finally sighed, slumping farther down in her seat and rubbing her hands over her face.

"I can tell."

Opening her eyes, she looked up at James, who'd gotten up from his own seat to stand behind her own. Emma offered him a little smile, which he easily returned despite the exhaustion in his eyes.

"Come on, sweetheart. You should get some rest before Andrew comes back here and tries to put us back to work," he murmured.

She laughed a little one of those short, one-breath laughs that she always did when she was tired and nodded. Sliding out of her chair, Emma stood and stretched her arms above her head. James followed her as she headed towards the bedroom the two of them shared, and when he stopped her and scooped her up in his arms, she didn't argue. Emma was exhausted, and leaning her head against his chest and closing her eyes seemed like a much better option than trying to get him to put her down.

James carried her all the way to the bedroom, where he set her down on the bed and tugged her shoes off, setting them by the dresser before tucking her underneath the covers. He was quiet as he moved, but she opened her eyes slightly when she heard him start to walk away.

"Stay," she murmured sleepily, reaching out to grab his hand. Emma's fingers barely brushed over his skin, but he nodded in response. Satisfied, she closed her eyes once more and let herself fall asleep as he climbed into bed beside her with one arm wrapped around her midsection.

When Emma woke up, James was gone. Confused, she sat up and blinked a few times, rubbing the grit from her eyes as she yawned. She sat in the bed for a moment longer before slowly climbing out and making her way into the hallway.

"Dude, I just want to make it perfect," Emma heard James say as she neared the kitchen.

Make what perfect?

Andrew responded a moment later, though he was quieter than his best friend, "Well, maybe if I get her flowers. Emma likes flowers, right?"

Is James planning a... date? For us? Emma smiled as the thought took hold and she walked into the kitchen.

"Of course I like flowers," she said as she crossed the threshold. James turned to face her, eyes wide, and Andrew's face broke into a wide smile as he tried not to laugh at her boldness. "Why, am I getting some?" she smiled cheekily at James when he set down his coffee mug and walked to meet her in the doorway.

"Maybe," he answered.

Andrew rolled his eyes at the two of them and got up from the table, squeezing past her and James to leave the room. He mumbled something about research as he pushed past, but she was distracted with James to pay him any heed.