𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒

"Stephanie dear, can you help me put the gifts on the table please, darling?" Aunt Caroline asked smiling at Stephanie as she set up the candles on Emma's cake.

"Yes, of course, Aunt Caroline! Where should I put these?" Stephanie questioned, as she took the gifts from the dining table and looked at her bewilderedly.

"Uh, on the table please?" She said as she continued to decorate the cake.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang. "I'll get it!" Stephanie shouted walking to the front door and opened it. She saw a tall guy on the doorstep flashing a polite smile on his face. "Yes? May I help you?" She asked flashing a toothy grin at him courteously.

"Hi, I'm James, I'm one of Emma's friends. I believe she invited me over here to hang out. May I come in?" He announced nervously.

"Yes, yes, of course, please come in," Stephanie responded as she stepped aside from the door to let James in.

"Wow, you've got a nice place here..." James said as he looked around the house in amazement.

"Thank you, it's quite small for all of us, but thank you." She smiled.

"So, uh, where's Emma?"

"Still in bed. It's her birthday today, therefore it's better if she doesn't wake up just yet. We want it to be a surprise." Stephanie commented cheerfully.

"Oh, can I see her?" James questioned eagerly.

"Sure, but please be careful with her."

"What do you mean?"

"She's a little grumpy in the morning." Stephanie warned warily.

"Oh, don't worry. I can handle that." He said vehemently.

"Okay, suit yourself."

James slowly make his way upstairs and went to Emma's bedroom. He opened the door and stepped into the room in silence. He saw Emma on the bed still sound asleep.

He went to her side and gently shook her body. "Emma? Wake up! It's me, James." He said softly.

Emma groaned, "Ah, please don't eat me!" She yelled and quickly got up from the bed in fright.

"Emma, it's okay, it's only me." James said comforting her.

"Oh, how did you get in here? Who let you in?" She questioned, raising her eyebrows at him.

"Your sister did, now come on let's go downstairs." He responded getting up from the bed nonchalantly.

"I guess so. Just a minute. Do I have a nightgown on? No, I don't. Would you mind turning around for a second? On second thought nevermind. That's such a corny line anyway. I'll turn around myself. Come on, lead the way." She said as she walked behind him steadily.

Okay, everybody when Emma walked downstairs I want all of us to scream 'surprise' as loud as you can." Aunt Caroline informed.

"You know, I had a lot of plans planned for today." Emma said from a distance.

"There she comes, Stephanie switch off the lights. Get ready everyone. One, Two-"

Huh, that's odd, why are the lights out? Oh the power must be out." She exclaimed.

"Surprise! Happy Birthday, Emma!"

Emma gasped and placed a hand on her mouth flabbergasted.

"Aunt Caroline, I can't believe you remembered." She cried hugging her aunt gently.

"Oh, Emma, of course I remembered. Who doesn't remember her own niece's birthday." She grinned.

"We got some gifts for you..." Stephanie squealed holding out some gifts in her hands.