𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏

It wasn't meant to be this way. It wasn't meant to be just Emma and James, locked away in their cabin for the week. It was meant to be a group getaway, but mother nature was a fickle bitch, and she had thwarted her plans. James had asked Emma to go on up ahead with him to open the cabin, turn on the heat and crank on the water. Not wanting him to make the trip alone, she'd joined him.

It started decently enough, floating around the hardwood floors with something close to wonder on her face. With floor to ceiling windows in the living room, it felt as if she could reach out and touch the snow covered pines that were just before her. The fire on the back wall hissed, heat puffing through the room and licking the back off her ankles almost affectionately.

"The kitchen through here," he muttered, waving her to follow him.

As hard as it was, Emma pulled herself away from the window and followed the echoing of his footsteps. The floor plan was open, something she admired about the cabin. It somehow made the place seem bigger not that it was small by any means. Lighter, more open, perhaps. With the stainless steel appliances and cozy breakfast nook, she shot James a grin.

"No wonder you've kept us all away. We'd never leave."

He chuckled, shaking his head and backing himself up into the counter. "You've not even seen the bedrooms yet."

"Oh?" A blush, that had no business being there, sprouted over her cheeks.

He grinned at her, a cocky smirk crossing those pink lips. "Mmm hmm. Follow me."

He waved Emma on again and she followed in his wake, steps creaking over the wood. He moved down a long hallway, hooking to the left and up the stairs. The hall was small but was equipped with three bedroom doors. With a silent wave, he gestured her to explore.

The first room was simple enough. Large bed, chest table and large windows, it painted a very pretty picture of the cabin in the woods. The next room was grander, the top of the bed covered in thin white linen that hung down the sides carelessly, but added a sensuality to the room that the other lacked.

There was a small balcony with large double doors that beckoned her to visit. It would be wonderful to sleep with the doors cracked tonight, she thought, letting the fresh mountain air in.

"You can sleep in here," he said from behind her, his breath stirring the hair at the nape of her neck. "I figured you'd like the bed."

"Oh, oh. Okay."

"Want to see my room?" His blue eyes were wide and maybe the slightest bit mischievous in the dim hallway.

"Sure."

He opened the last door and beamed at her. "My castle."

Castle, it was. The bed was twice the size of the others in a deep mahogany. The bedspread was a pristine white, matching the snow outside. Emma moved about the bed, staring down at the red sheets that screamed out at her. James was not overly sensual, and the thought of his tan skin against those red sheets had Emma blushing for an entirely different reason.

The door off to the side led to a bathroom that had her nearly weeping in relief. The dark stone tub that sat in the corner coaxed her to come closer and to have a soak, warm up her cold muscles and relax.

"Grand, isn't it? Love having a soak at night before bed." Again, his voice was too close to her ear and she skirted him, leaving the bathroom and back into the kitchen where the ground was more neutral.

"This place is amazing. What time are the other's meant to be here?"

He checked his phone, thumb moving over the screen as he paged through his texts. He read for a while and whatever news he received had not been pleasant.