Seventeen

Once set in motion the Curse of the Twelve was almost unbreakable. Twelve curses broken. Twelve lives saved. Twelve kinds united. And here Julia Rumbel was still breaking curses. She'd become an old woman trying to break the curse over her beloved, the one cast by DeKnave.

As the years went by she began to lose hope but, now she was close. The curse on the DeSwan family and this kingdom was the biggest yet. And after this curse was broken, only one curse remained. All she had to do was help Anike regain her title. If she could find her, that was. She'd been treking through these Moea-forsaken woods for miles and the girl was nowhere to be found.

"Stars have mercy...I'm too old for this." She panted as she wiped the sweat from her brow, her footfall heavy. How she expected to sneak up on DeKnave and best him in this condition, she didn't know.

Snap! Crunch!

Someone was coming. Anike grabbed a loose branch and whirled on whoever was approaching.

"Oh!" Madam Rumbel cried when Anike wacked her on the head.

"By Moea! Madam Rumbel!" Anike was in shock but dropped the stick. "I'm so sorry. What are you doing out here?"

"Ooh, my poor head!" the old woman grumbled as she rubbed it. "That's going to bruise thank you very much!"

"Sorry. I thought maybe I was being followed. I don't even know how I got out here."

"What do you mean?"

"One moment I'm in the ruins. I saw Roan. Did you know he was the Prince from Ofrincia? Never mind, of course you did, you're a seer. It doesn't matter." She waved the thought away. "I think he and Odessa came to find me. But DeKnave found him first. He didn't seem hurt but I think DeKnave was torturing him somehow. And I haven't seen Odessa at all! I don't think he'd hurt his own daughter but..." She shook her head. "Anyway. I was with Roan in the ruins. Part of them had been rebuilt. I was going to try and get Roan out but the DeKnave came--"

"You saw him?"

"Not exactly. Ahhh!" Her back twinged and a sharp pain sliced through her head. "I'm...I'm not sure. I can't remember. I feel like I forgot something. I just know he was coming. And then I was here. I need to go back. I need to find Roan. And Odessa. I have to help--"

"Wait! I don't know what we can do for them now. If DeKnave caught you he'd probably kill you. The best thing we can do is break this curse. Once DeKnave's hold over the kingdom is gone we can help them." Madam Rumbel assured her. "I came here to help you. And despite your rough treatment I'm going to do what I can. I promise."

Anike nodded. "Alright. If you're sure. Thank you."

"Don't thank me just yet. We've still got to get you to the chamber. Although, I would have thought you'd at least have the decency to tell me you were leaving. You were gone for a day and half. I went to see Salma and--"

"Wait. A day and half? That can't be right. I left last night. I arrived late this afternoon. I made it to the chamber but..." Anike's heart started to race. "DeKnave was there. I tried to fight him. He nearly killed me!"

Madam Rumbel's mouth fell open, "You fought him and lived? There's no way unless..." she paused and looked closer, then she stepped back with a gasp, "Your hair. What happened?" she whispered.

"What?" Anike reached up. "What's wrong with it? What does that have to do with anything?"

"It's white as fright." the old woman reached for the swan pendant. "You've been changed. Cursed."

"What? I don't understand."

"I'm honestly not sure what happened myself. Remember I told you I had a vision of you with the pendant? And what I told you about the lake?" Anike nodded, "Well one way or another, you were saved. I believe the pendant protected you, but perhaps at a price. I sense a fundamental change in you."