Sixteen

At last Odessa's father returned. His smile seemed warm. Familiar. Safe. "Where did you go?"

  "What if the Prince were happy and willing to marry you?"

  "What? Please father just answer me."

  "Humor me, my daughter. I will answer all of your questions but not yet."

  Odessa sighed. If there was anything she knew about her father it's that he would never reveal his plans until he was ready. "Well...maybe. But he's not. Please father just...whatever you're doing, stop. Let him go."

  "Not yet. I think all he needs is some convincing."

  "What are you going to do? You're...you're not goung to hurt him, are you?"

  "I wouldn't dream of it. After all he'll be part of the family soon. I'm just going to get him to see things my way. Don't you trust me, daughter?"

  She wasn't sure anymore. She hadn't seen him do anything, but the way he was acting...something wasn't right. Still she answered, "Yes. Of course father. I trust you. You trust me, don't you?"

  "Of course, my daughter."

  "Then tell me where Anike is. If you tell me where she is I can convince her she was wrong and... And everything can go back to normal. I'll do whatever you ask. Marry whoever you choose for me. I promise."

  He smiled "You've always been so caring. I'll take you to your friend soon. First I want to show you something. Come." He held out his hand to her. She sighed and put her hand in his.

  He led her out of the throne room. They passed through a series of well lit halls, the palace around them looking almost as if it were newly constructed. "I know you're confused right now but I am your father. You know I only want what's best for you. I would never allow harm to come to you. I would never allow you to be taken from me. I always keep what's mine."

  Odessa wondered what exactly he was referring to: her or something else. Still she knew it to be true. Her father would never hurt her. When it came to others though, she wasn't so sure anymore.

  They arrived in a beautifully furnished sitting room. "I have a gift for you." DeKnave announced. He conjured a mirror and then raised his hands as he began to shout. "The wind strikes the the trees. The water carves the earth. Fantasy becomes reality as reality becomes change..." Suddenly Odessa began to itch all over and then burn. "Death becomes rebirth. The caterpillar is torn to pieces as the butterfly springs forth. Death. Life. Change. Rebirth. The caterpillar is torn to pie taste the butterfly springs forth!"

  She gasped unable to catch her breath as her body twisted, "Father...What... What are you doing to me...Stop! Please!"

  Then just as abruptly as it began it stopped. Weezing, Odessa stood up from the hunched position she had been forced into. Looking down she saw her dress had transformed. The dirt and leaves were no more. It wasn't even the same dress. She now wore a black gown with a belt at the waist, red beads embroidered in the shape of roses sewn into it. "What was--" she stopped short when she caught her reflection. Staring back at her was Anike's face!

  "What have you done?" even her voice at had changed. Her skin crawled as she looked herself over. "Why? What kind of gift is this?"