Thirteen

"Are you alright, Odessa?" Maria asked. It was the third night of the ball and they were in the ballroom waiting as guests were announced as they entered.

  The king had slipped away again and had been acting unusual all day. Odessa was beginning to wonder if that man had been her father at all. Anike had said it seemed like he had a double.

  "I'm fine. I just...I think something's wrong."

  "Like what? Is this about Anike?" Maria asked. She knew the two must have got into a fight when she was called in by Rebecca to play lady's maid, but Odessa was tight lipped about the details. "I'm sure she's fine. She'll be here soon and then you two can make up."

  "Have you seen her yet?"

  "Well, no. I haven't seen her since yesterday. This isn't about Prince Reginald is it? You two are better friends than that. A man should be the last thing to come between you."

  "What?" Why would the Prince come between them? Odessa shook her head. "No it's not that. It's...she said some things. Crazy, horrible things. I didn't believe her, but now...I don't know. She hasn't been seen all day. She might be avoiding me but she can't avoid everyone. And then my father disappears. He's been acting odd all day." She sighed heavily. "What if she was right?"

  "Right about what?"

  "My father," said Odessa, "Maybe he's not who I thought he was. Maybe he..." she suddenly remembered Anike saying her father had wanted her dead. What if-- "Stars! I have to go. I have to go right now!"

  "But what about the ball? Your guests? Your father will blow his top!"

  "Forget them! Please Maria, make an excuse so no one stops me. I need to find Anike."

  Maria nodded, "Alright. I understand. Just be careful. And be quick if you can."

  "I will. Thank you," she looked around to be sure no one was watching. Most everyone was looking to the main entrance focused on the new arrivals for one reason or another. Some to gossip about their ostentatious clothing or rumored secrets. Others planning the moment they would catch their ear likely to charm them into some deal. Others were preoccupied with the food or each other, talking, laughing and flirting. With her guests distracted she slipped out the side doors to the garden.

  Only one person had noticed Odessa leave. Roan had seen Anike talking with the princess the night before and wondered what their relationship was. Now Anike was no where to be seen so he kept his eyes on the princess hoping she might lead him to Anike. When she slipped away he grew curious and decided to follow her.

 When she slipped away he grew curious and decided to follow her

  Odessa made her way through the garden. It was lit by a few dull lanterns. She rounded the corner and walked by the side of the palace, hands frantically groping the wall as she searched for the old garden gate. It was a servants exit, rarely used even years ago when Anike and Odessa were children. Overgrown weeds, flowers and vines consumed the door making it hard to find.