Nine

Anike tried to keep calm as she wondered what to say to her friend. Meanwhile Odessa squirmed excitedly as Anike fixed her hair.

"I can't wait for tonight," she practically bounced as Anike pinned her silky black hair into a crown-like updo. She used jeweled pins to hold it all in place and then placed the tiara Odessa's father had recently given her on the princess's head. It matched the pins and the owl pendant the princess wore perfectly.

Anike sighed as she straightened the skirt of her friend's gold and white gown once Odessa had risen. She looked beautiful. Her hazel eyes practically twinkled, the layers and layers of silk and lace on her dress were tasteful rather than goudy as Anike had seen on other nobles, the fabric being embroidered delicately. The belt was gold and the full length sleeves were like butterfly's wings. She certainly looked like a princess.

 She certainly looked like a princess

Odessa admired herself. She hadn't been sure about the gown but it really had come together nicely. It was then Odessa noticed the grim look on her friend's face in the mirror behind her. "What's wrong Ani? And don't tell me nothing. You've been acting funny lately and it only seems to be getting worse." She turned to face her.

Now was her chance. Odessa had asked after all. But could she really do it? This would destroy her friend's life. And for what? For vengeance? So she could rule in place of the king? She didn't know the first thing about ruling a country.

Anike swallowed. "I...I found something out about my past. Julia Rumbel apparently knew me as a girl."

Odessa's eyes went wide. "You're kidding!"

Just then there was a knock at the door. Rebecca entered. "They're ready for you your majesty. And happy birthday, lovely."

"Thank you Rebecca," Odessa hugged her old nurse maid. "That's my cue!" she turned back to Anike, "We're going to talk later. I want to know everything, alright." she squeezed her friend's hand. "I'll see you down there!" she said before making a swift exit.

"Isn't this exciting?" said Rebecca.

"Yes, very." Anike was relieved about the interruption. But eventually she would have to tell her something.

She sighed then went to her room and finished dressing herself in a simple yet flattering dark blue gown with a silver belt. Her hair was up in braids that she had coiled into a neat bun and pinned with silver butterfly pins, a twenty-second birthday gift from the princess. She didn't have any other finery. Well except for the swan pendant. And Roan's medallion. At the last minute she decided to wear both. Finally, she left the room and went downstairs to join the party.