Six

"Hello father," Odessa genuflected as she entered the throne room

   "Hello father," Odessa genuflected as she entered the throne room. The chamber was well lit by a few high windows, with the red heavy satin curtains parted. The back wall was red as we're the thrones and the other chairs for the king's company. Gold chandeliers, now unlit from hung above. Everything else was gold as well, showing off the DeKnave family colors; Ruby Red and Gold.

  "Late as usual, my daughter." The king complained, but he smiled at her. He was still in his traveling clothes, black knee high boots over black trousers, a cream colored tunic with simple red embroidery, instead of his usual gold. His valet removed his red cloak before he sat on his throne. Like Odessa he had dark hair and hazel eyes but where her face was round and soft his was angled and toughened by life and age.

  "Sorry father. I was taking midday meal when you arrived."

  "And was that not to be over with twenty minutes ago. You should have been at your music lesson."

  She nodded, eyes downcast, "Yes, sire." She admitted.

  "So, how goes it with finding a match?" the king changed the subject, his voice even.

  Odessa struggled not grimace, "Well enough."

  "Really? Because I heard that you ran two off, one was so frightened of your reputation he didn't even show up, another decided he'd rather take up with bandits than marry you so he went off to the woods and was never seen again and the latest tried to put you in your place and ended up hanged!" He shouted face turning as red as the curtains.

  Odessa scoffed, "Really father, those are silly rumors." She protested.

  "Indeed. Most of them. But in every lie, legend and rumor spun is a grain of truth. And I am worried about that grain of truth. I'll not have everyone from peasants to palace guards gossiping about my daughter like she's a mad woman. What went on this week while I was away Odessa?"

  "Well...things weren't nearly as bad as the rumors." she proceded to explain everything. The suitor who ignored her and flirted with the maids until she slapped him. The suitor who didn't show up. The pompous fool who "serenaded" her, singing off key for what felt like hours before she'd had enough and walked out. The suitor who called her a petulant child when she refused to kiss him so she bit him. And of course the one who practically had her sit at his feet and call him your majesty who she kicked in the shin.

  Her father sighed, "What am I going to do with you? Well I suppose I can't really blame you too harshly. Grace and finesse are something a mother teachers and you had none. But honestly Odessa you ought to know enough not behave like a silly child."

  "But father, they started it!"

  "Do you hear yourself? They started it. You are not a child! I don't care who started it as princess you are not to finish it. Use a little cunning Odessa. Use that sharp mind you inherited from me. You don't think I have to deal with fools. I don't let them bring me down to their level. I don't get mad. I get even. Be smart about it from now on."