One

It was morning and the usual organized chaos of the castle could be heard and seen in all corners

It was morning and the usual organized chaos of the castle could be heard and seen in all corners. Pots clanged, fires roared and servants scurried away as the chef yelled in the kitchen. Maids scrubbed floors, chased away mice and changed linens in the bedrooms. Manservants dusted, scrapped fireplaces clean and gathered fire wood for the parlors to chase off the cool of the oncoming dark season. All were busy as they prepared for the day and that included the princess and her lady in waiting.

"Slow down!" Anike shouted as she ran after Princess Odessa tying on the belt of her newest caftan dress.

"Father will butcher me if he finds out I was late again." the princess said slipping on her shoes and stumbling as she made her way down the carpeted hall.

"Hold still! And who's fault is that?" Anike asked as she shoved bracelets on Odessa's arms that matched the pale blue beading on her white dress.

"You should have woken me!" the princess complained.

"By the Stars, Dess an earthquake couldn't wake you up and you know it!" Anike complained adding the final touch, a collared necklace studded with topaz.

Finally, Odessa was property dressed. "That earthquake was small." She grumbled. "And I woke up eventually," she insisted, running down the stairs and tripping twice.

"Gracefully!" Anike hissed, "And don't bite this one!"

The dark haired princess slowed down and floated down the stairs like a royal should, "I make no promises." She sang.

Anike rolled her eyes, "At least pretend to be polite."

"I'll think about it." The princess conceded as she got to the bottom of the stairs and headed toward to the receiving room.

Anike breathed a sigh of relief once she was out of sight. Odessa may have been her best friend but she was a handful. She was meeting with another suitor today. The king had been setting up these meetings for months now, hoping the princess would at least like one well enough to marry. It was highly doubtful though. Odessa seemed to hate each suitor more than the last.

That done Anike went back up stairs to finish her chores. She was already washed and dressed in her gray uniform and white apron, her hair covered by a white bonnet. She dusted Odessa's room, made their beds and then helped clean the upstairs hallways. She ran a few errands around the palace for Salma, the older maid who had taken care of her as a child, once she'd come to live at the palace. It was getting harder for Salma to move around so Anike was always helping her out. She didn't mind though. It was the least she could do for the woman who had practically raised her. Anike once had another caretaker who had been a friend of Salma's but that was years ago and the other woman had since passed.

Anike didn't pause in her work to dwell on old days she couldn't remember. This was life now. Busy days filled with the responsibilities of the princess's lady's maid. There was also sewing to be done, lessons and even training exercises. It was a good life, all things considered. She never went hungry. She'd never be out in the cold. She was safe. She had her friends. It was stable and normal. Her future was laid out clearly and most days she didn't mind a bit. So what if Wyttfeather was the most ordinary everyday kingdom in all of the Sphere? Who needed magic and dragons and intrigue anyway? Not Anike. Of that she was certain. Most days anyway.