Chapter 14

As normal day as it could be, Nicol was going back from her job. She sensed something wasn't sitting right. She accelerated her speed so she could get home faster.

She entered the house but it was empty. Usually her mom will be home, but she found it weird that she wasn't home. Nicol picked up her phone fast and dialled her mother's number.

''Hello? Mom?''
''Honey?'' Her mom sniffed on the other side of the phone.
''Mom what happened? Why are you crying?'' Her heartbeat quickened suddenly.
''I'm in the hospital.''
''Why are you in a hospital?''
''You dad had a heart attack at the work.''
''What? How that happened? Is he fine now?''
''I don't know but he is fine now. They were running tests. I guess I'm still under shock so I feel stressed.''
''Ok. I'm coming right now.''

She was under shock but once she realized what actually happened, she was on full blown crying. It hurt her to know that her father almost died and she didn't even know it.

After she composed herself, she dialled Alex's number. Walk to the hospital would at least be an hour since the hospital was on the other side of the town and she didn't have a car.

''Hello baby?'' Alex answered quickly.
''Hello, I wanted to ask you if you could drive me to the hospital?''
''A hospital? What happened?''
''My dad had a heart attack. If you could please come?''
''I'm coming right now. Wait in front of your house baby. I love you.''
''I love you too.'' She shut down her phone and exited the house.

He came in less than five minutes because he was driving like crazy. As soon as she entered he hugged her.

''It will be okay.'' He kissed her forehead and started the engine.
The drive to the hospital was quite. Nicol was crying silently and her heart clenched at the thought of loosing her dad.

Alex parked in front of the hospital and took Nicol's hand before entering the building. There were a lot of nurses running around with patients and they hurried to the receptionist.

Young lady behind the counter told them that her father is on second floor in room 203. When they came Nicol spotted her mother on the end of a hallway. She ran to her and hugged her.

''Mom is he okay?''
''He is fine honey.''
''What did the doctors say?''
''He will be fine in few days. It wasn't strong heart attack but he still needs a lot of rest. They ran some tests and it came out fine but his blood pressure was a little too high.''

Nicol nodded at her mothers words and   entered the room her father was in. She was so sad to see him this vulnerable. He was a great person in her eyes even after what happened before. She understood that it was all just because he wanted to protect his little girl.

She grabbed his hand slowly and planted a kiss on it.
''Dad I got so scared that you'll leave me. I couldn't bear the pain if you left. I love you dad.''
She wiped the tears that stained her cheeks and got up then left the room.

Nicol saw her mom and Alex sitting on the chairs in front the room. She got closer to Alex and sat in his lap. He wrapped arms around her as she leaned her head on his shoulder.

''Have you calmed down?''
She nodded her head and put her arm around his torso. Alex sighed and kissed her forehead.

He was also sad to see her dad in the hospital bed and his girl crying. It broke his heart to see that. Her mother was also sad but she cried all of her tears before Nicol came.

They were sitting there for few hours waiting for her dad to wake up as doctor said he will wake up in 24 hours. Alex looked over to Nicol to see her expressionless and her small hand fisting his shirt.

''Nicol baby?'' He cupped her cheek to get her attention. She looked over at him with her greenish eyes.
''Do you want something to drink or eat?'' He cooed at her, stroking her cheek with his thumb.

She shook her head 'no' and he sighed.
''My princess, my beauty. You can't stay like this. You haven't eaten in almost three hours.''
''I'm not hungry right now.'' She whispered.
''Then I will bring you something to drink okay?''
''Okay.'' He kissed her nose and put her on the chair where he was previously sitting.
''Mrs. Jones, would you like something to eat or drink?''
''Water please.'' She gave him small smile which he returned.

Alex went to the vending machine and took two bottles of water and Nicol's favourite juice. He didn't like that his girl didn't want to eat but he didn't want to push her.

He came back and saw her in the same position as he left her. He handed the water to her mother and put the rest on the free chair. He put Nicol again in his lap and gave her a juice. She gladly drank the half as she was thirsty.

She put the bottle down and got comfortable on Alex's lap. She curled like a baby on his lap and he caressed her hair.
''Get some sleep. I'll wake you up.''
''I love you.'' She whispered.
''I love you too.'' He kissed her cheek.

Nicol fell asleep soon as he was caressing his thumb on her cheek.
''Mrs. Jones I can see you are tired. Maybe you should go home and take a rest than I will call you when he wakes up.'' She was hesitating at first but nodded in response.
''You are right. I will go home and prepare some of his clothes to bring here. Thank you Alexander.'' She got up and smiled.
''It's nothing. I will see you soon.''
''Bye.''
''Bye.''

She looked at her daughter and left the hospital. Her mother was so stressed about the whole situation and she needed a little bit of rest.

Alex was still sitting with his princess on his lap. He hated to see her so vulnerable but she was a strong girl.
He was caressing her soft brown hair at which she just moaned in satisfaction.

•••

It's been two hours since Nicol fell asleep when nurse entered inside the room to check up on her dad. She came out smiling and said Alex that he woke up. Alex was happy to hear good news and mostly because Nicol will be happy too.

''Baby...'' He said kissing her soft cheek.
She scrunched her nose a little bit but still sleeping.
''Wake up my love.'' He tried again stroking her hair.
She slowly opened her eyes and saw Alex's handsome face.
''What happened?''
''Your dad woke up and he is fine.''
''Really?'' Her eyes lit up and she sat straighter.
''Can we go inside?''
''Yes. The doctor will come soon too.''

She got up and slowly entered the room with Alex following behind her.
''Dad you woke up.'' She squealed and hugged her, now awoken, father.
''I did honey.'' He chuckled.
''Are you okay now? Does anything hurts you?''
''No I'm fine.'' He looked over at Alex with grateful smile.
''It's going to be okay now.'' Her father said to assure her one more time.